The Moon and More | Teen Ink

The Moon and More

By brittmet BRONZE, Rochester, New Hampshire
brittmet BRONZE, Rochester, New Hampshire

“The thing is you can’t always have the best of everything because for life to be real, you need it all: good and bad, beach and concrete, the familiar and the unknown, big talkers and small towns. Otherwise how could I have all these things and still be so close to my own Best After Ever?” This was said by Emaline. She was a highschool grad living in the small beach town of Colby. She planned on going to East U after the summer is over. For now she works at Colby Realty. Her family has owned this business for over 50 years.

Throughout the book her summer was not like any summer she’s ever had. In Colby it’s usually the same thing. Tourists come and go, sunburnt skin and sandy feet, same old beach and friends she’s always had. This summer is going to be much different than the others.

Emaline has been dating Luke since they were in 8th grade and all through highschool. When the summer began she felt as if they were coming to an end. Emaline found out that Luke cheated on her at the annual beach bash that went on every year. Emaline was heart broken, but Emaline soon figured out that sometimes you need to find the good in goodbye and move on.

Ivy and Theo were guests at Colby Realty for the summer. Ivy was searching for Clyde an old retired artist that she wanted to bring back to life. So they filmed a documentary on him. Emaline started to help them and started spening a lot of time with Theo. Catching feelings for someone like Theo was the last thing Emaline thought she would do. Theo wasn’t the cutest, he was tall, skinny, and dorky. Unlike Luke, who was tall, muscular, tan, and handsome. For some reason Emaline clicked with Theo. He was nice to her and was always excited about what they were going to do next. He took her on cute little dates all the time, and involved her in everything he did. Theo opened Emaline’s eyes to a lot of cool new things she never knew about.

Emaline had a mom, dad, and father. Her father, which is her real dad left when she was very young. Her mom was only 18 when she had Emaline. Her father was never around and didn’t call much, they eventually lost all connection with eachother. Emaline knows some things about her father, but wanted to know more. She mailed him letters and an invitation for her graduation and her father never responded. He never showed at her graduation either. She decided to write to him once again. Her mother wasn’t to impressed but Emaline told her “He’s my father, it’s my story, I need to know it.” So she did. Two weeks later he wrote back. Emaline opened her email to find out that he has been married for 5 years and has a 2 year old son Benji.

“Was I sad about the way things stood, and did I wish still the spring and even this summer had gone differently? Yes, but the anger somehow lifted leaving behind a sense that I could deal with whatever came next for us, even if it was nothing at all. Which sounded bad, I knew. Having no expectations for some people in your life can be depressing if not devastating, but with others it’s what is necessary the hard part is not just figuring out which one applies, but accepting it.” Emaline thought this to herself. From being let down as much as she has, she’s realized that she’s okay and she’s ready to handle anything that comes her way. Good or bad. Reffering back to the beginning Emaline learned that you can’t always have the best of everything, because for life to be real you need it all: good bad, beach and concrete, the familiar and the unknown, big talkers and small towns. Otherwise how could I have all these things and still be so close to my own Best After Ever?

Emaline learns that no matter if good or bad comes her way she’s thankful for it because that’s what maker her, and it teaches her that life can be complicated but you just got to keep your head up and you’ll get through anything.