Life of a Blended Family | Teen Ink

Life of a Blended Family

January 8, 2016
By Anonymous

I believe blended families provide hope for families and are blessings to many. “The United States divorce rates are 45%,while the blended marriage rate is about 67%.”(Winning Step families Helping Blended...)A blended family is a family in which both of the adults bring children from a previous relationship and start a new family. Younger children tend to adjust more to a blended family. There are many reasons why blended families are successful. Like getting counseling, or going to church. That’s why about 8% of blended families do.http://www.helpguide.org Parents of a blended family should let their past go so they can make it better for them to focus more on their new family.

More blended families are becoming normal each day.”At least one third of the children living in the U.S are expected to live in a blended family before the age 18”. I can say I’m a part of a blended family. My brother and I have have different dads. 1,300 new families are formed everyday. “25% of children experienced the death of a parent before the age 18”. When marrying in a new family you have to figure out what to call your spouse’s family members. Sometimes you call your mother-in-law mom but sometimes you don’t. The same thing is true about blended families.  Figuring it out together is what you should do. Asking things like “How would you like to be introduced out in public or out with  friends” or “At home, what is comfortable for you?”

Blended children are at greater risk of living in high conflict homes. Ages 10-14 have the most difficult time adjusting to a blended family. Biological parent should communicate with their child often about the changes and how they feel about them. Some children may feel unwanted by stepparents. However some families often disagree on children’s issues. Different sides of the families allows and provide rules & traditions .It’s vital to have a plan for a blended family. Like discussing your values, expectations, the boundaries you want to set and the consequences you have if rules are broken.

Over 50% of marriages that end in divorce are caused by children. “A source says talk to children and reassure them that divorce isn’t their fault”. Take time with each child and connect with them. Communicating with your child often causes less confusion on teens. Sometimes children would most likely love to be talked to everyday and have both of their parents full attention or care.  It will help them understand not to blame themselves.    

Children adjust more to divorce and remarriage.Children adjustment to stepfamilies lives occur quickly. I highly disagree. Stepfamilies are complicated and can’t be rushed it takes time and patience it usually takes up to 4 years statistics say(Winning Step families Helping Blended...). Having blended families are really bad. Blended families are reported being happy in their life.The children may not live with the couple but they often will visit them and have fun with the family.Today close to 25% are blended families. Nineteen percent are married blended families.

Having a blended family isn’t that much different from a regular family. They have both a parent and a step-parent. Most step-parents treat step-kids like their own children. The younger children have easier time adjusting. On the other hand teenagers have a more difficult time adjusting. Making a commitment to the children and them knowing you love them make things easy.