Pop Culture: The Destruction of a Generation | Teen Ink

Pop Culture: The Destruction of a Generation

By Christian Edgington BRONZE, Cincinnati, Ohio
Christian Edgington BRONZE, Cincinnati, Ohio

Pop Culture is defined as the cultural activities aimed at the tastes of the general population. The subject of Pop Culture has consumed our generation, and has played a key role in the development of society. Pop Culture has had a negative influence on society through television, music, and magazines. Pop Culture is designed to appeal to a large amount of people, which in turn influences many people’s decisions and choices. Pop Culture has destroyed a generation and continues to have a large impact on society.
Television has increased rapidly in popularity over the past ten years. With over 1000 channels, and hundreds of shows, there is so much to choose from. Shows have impacted our daily lives, and we are committed to keep up with each new episode. This impact has been very negative on our generation because of all the violence, drugs, and sexual references. Kids are now being exposed to shows that are way too mature for their age. In 2009, 17-year-old Andrew Conley killed his 10-year-old brother by strangling him with his bare hands. When Conley was interviewed by the police, he claimed he related to Dexter. Conley was referring to a popular show on Showtime titled Dexter, it is based off a serial killer that has an unusual addiction to blood and all things murderous. Shows like this aren’t intended to be watched by teenagers, and instead should be saved for those who can fully process that it is only a television show. Dexter has had a negative influence on the youth of America, causing acts of violence to spurt up in response to the television show. The show depicts violence as a good thing, because the main character (Dexter) kills off the bad serial killers, even though he is a serial killer himself. Television has had a negative impact not only on the youth, but on society as a whole because of the violence, drug, and sexual references throughout the various programs.
Music is one of the most popular forms of media, and surrounds us in our everyday lives. There are various genres of music, each with their own respective artists. Music is released daily and is constantly evolving. Artists are inspirations to many because of their ability to express their emotions to a masses of people. Nearly five years ago, Justin Bieber appealed to the emotions of almost every pre-teenager across the United States and around the world. Bieber peaked while he was 17, and has gone on a downward spiral ever since. Bieber recently spent time in jail because of a DUI in Miami after he was allegedly caught drag racing, he also had a BAC level twice the legal limit. Since his chart-topping hits five years ago, Bieber has spent jailtime, received tattoos, and has set the example of how not to live a life. However, even though he has completely turned his life for the worse, his teenage fans still follow his every move. Bieber’s poor decisions have caused his fans to feel sympathetic for his actions and continue to believe that he is a great person. Justin Bieber shouldn’t be considered a role model for the youth, if all he does is spend time in and out of jail. Music has slowly created negative role models for the youth, and it is creating a corrupt generation.
Lastly, magazines have drastically changed over the years. Magazines have become less known for their writing, and more for their shocking images of celebrities. Magazines such as People, Star, and In Touch Weekly all judge celebrities based upon their physical appearance. They magazines thrive because of the public interest on the lives of celebrities. People want to look like celebrities, and want to be able to live the life that celebrities do. This fantasy has driven women to go to extreme measures in order to look like the women on the front cover of the weekly magazine. The stereotypical Hollywood celebrity, looks very unproportional and is an unrealistic dream for any person. Magazines have stressed the importance of having a stick-thin body in order to be successful in life. The Anorexia, Bulimia, and other eating disorders have been on the rise within the past ten years and it has affected women across the country. These eating disorders are directly related to the everlasting desire to look like the women in Hollywood. Magazines have negatively impacted women in society, and it continues harm our culture.
Pop Culture is intended to appeal to a large number of people. However, Pop Culture has negatively impacted culture and has created many problems for a generation. Pop Culture has had a negative influence on society through television, music, and magazines. Each day culture is affected by media. Pop Culture is changing the way our society develops, and is destructive to an entire generation.

I was inspired by the growing issues that are appearing in society.

Jazzy_L said...
on Sep. 29 2021 at 3:43 pm
Jazzy_L, Hogwarts, Alberta

"Anything's possible if you've got enough nerve."

Inspiring! Learning about the negative affects of pop culture will aid our knowledge of the habits we have and how they affect us... sometimes even without our realization.