Habitual use of generative AI takes a toll on our ability to write formally. | Teen Ink

Habitual use of generative AI takes a toll on our ability to write formally.

May 24, 2024
By kbyeb2006 BRONZE, Manchester, Connecticut
kbyeb2006 BRONZE, Manchester, Connecticut
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Generative AI, is a way to a utopian future or a detriment to our critical thinking and writing abilities. Many people fall on either side of the spectrum. If you ask most students, it is a great tool to help reduce stress and complete homework without a sweat. On the contrary, if you ask most teachers, it is the worst thing to happen to education. A machine that does all the work and prevents students from thinking critically.


 I myself agree with both sides. Generative AI does make work easier. It allows me to complete assignments in 10 minutes rather than 60. However, I can see that my ability to write formally has taken a toll. It takes much longer to pour my ideas onto paper without feeling the need to ask ChatGPT for help. It feels like I am a crack addict who knows I must stop but just won’t. From the student perspective, Generative AI such as autocorrect is a positive. Especially, when it comes to non-English writers who may not have incredible writing skills, or even to native English speakers who may need help wording their ideas.


It reaches the point where a line must be drawn whether it is a writing aid or a personalized homework machine. Just as Sam Avery a University of Iowa Graduate said, ” A.I. chatbots can give students an out. You don’t have to think about a text deeply or write about a connection that you had to find.” Looking at it from this perspective, it is highly justified for teachers to feel that  AI is a detriment to the betterment of their students. 


But they may also forget AI includes a host of different forms. It contains image generators, generative AI, and of course everyone's favorite friend autocorrect. Just imagine the number of spelling mistakes, corrections, and punctuation errors teachers would have to deal with if AI such as autocorrect did not exist. Many teachers can attest that students' writing ability changes drastically when writing on paper compared to writing electronically. “Many high school students have become dependent on electronic spell-checkers. As a result, I spend a significant amount of time circling misspelled words on assignments,” said the English Department chair at Clay-Chalkville High School.


The biggest case where auto-correct is mostly used is texting. In this day and age, texting has become the main form of communication, with students being the primary users of it. The reliance on autocorrect has seeped into their formal writing as well, blurring the lines between casual and formal language. The consequence? A generation that struggles to differentiate between the two, often sacrificing clarity and precision for brevity and convenience.


Moreover, the issue extends beyond just the realm of writing. Generative AI, with its ability to swiftly generate answers and solutions, fosters a culture of instant gratification and dependency. Students grow accustomed to receiving immediate assistance, bypassing the critical thinking process necessary for true learning and comprehension. The result is a generation ill-equipped to tackle complex problems or think creatively, as they have grown reliant on algorithms to do the heavy lifting.


While generative AI undoubtedly offers benefits, its unchecked integration into education poses significant risks to the intellectual development of students. It is important for educators, policymakers, and society at large to critically assess its role in shaping the future of learning. Without careful consideration and regulation, we risk sacrificing the purpose of education— the cultivation of independent thinkers capable of navigating a complex world with intellect and integrity.