Redefining Success | Teen Ink

Redefining Success

Dear Parents and Students,

It’s logical to assume successful careers correlate with admissions to top universities. But if we adopt this belief, we set up future generations for failure. By using college admissions as a success metric, we indirectly define failure as not getting into a top college. Yet studies have shown that where you go to college does not accurately predict success. (Inc, 2014) Instead, life skills – time management, social interaction, time management, and adaptability – better correlate with career success.

But even I understand that education is important. I’m sure you have an idea of the study culture in Asia. For example, students in China spend 77 hours a week studying, including school and tutoring (“Kids in China Spend 77 Hours a Week Studying”). All this is for the Gaokao, the Chinese SAT. Scoring high on these exams guarantees admission to the top national universities and a stable career. But despite Asia producing some of the most academically intelligent students in the world, they also boast high percentages of anxiety, depression, and suicide (Lemon et al., 2023). In Asia, they trade academic intelligence for well-being. So I ask you, would you do the same?

In some fields, namely finance and investment banking, employers exclusively hire from prestigious universities. While one's alma mater can play a role in the hiring process, its significance may be overestimated. According to The Muse, a survey showed that over 600 business leaders value “candidate’s knowledge in the field and her applicable skills” over where they graduated from (“Do Hiring Managers Care Where You Went to College?”). The alma mater can draw attention, but your skills and experience ultimately determine your employability. Beyond the first job, employers tend to focus on past work experiences rather than academic background.

Redefining success requires a shift away from traditional standards and comparisons. Rather than setting specific standards for success, we should encourage curiosity and exploration, allowing individuals to discover their passions and develop intrinsic motivation. The current emphasis on extrinsic motivation, based on societal standards, has led to unrealistic expectations and a distorted sense of self-worth. It's time to foster an environment that values personal growth and fulfillment over external validation. Instead of attaining straight A’s as the final goal, view it as a side product of developing an efficient learning system. By empowering individuals to pursue their interests and cultivate their unique strengths, we can redefine success in a way that promotes well-being and genuine accomplishment.

Rather than focusing solely on short-term goals like "resume-stacking," we should prioritize the development of life skills that provide a foundation for long-term success (Homayoun). By implementing systems for organizing, planning, and reflecting on various aspects of our lives, we can reduce distractions and create clear steps to success. This approach recognizes that life is not a sprint but a marathon and that preparation and persistence are essential for achieving our goals. By cultivating these life skills, we can navigate challenges and adapt to changing circumstances with resilience and confidence.

Best,

Travis Dao

References

Inc, Gallup. “The 2014 Gallup-Purdue Index Report.” Gallup.com, www.gallup.com/services/176768/2014-gallup-purdue-index-report.aspx.
“Kids in China Spend 77 Hours a Week Studying.” NextShark, 9 Dec. 2016, nextshark.com/chinese-kids-study-77-hours-a-week.
Lemon, Christopher, et al. “Priorities for Research Promoting Mental Health in the South and East of Asia.” The Lancet Regional Health - Europe, 1 Oct. 2023, pp. 100287–100287, doi.org/10.1016/j.lansea.2023.100287.
“Do Hiring Managers Care Where You Went to College?” The Muse, 21 Mar. 2014, www.themuse.com/advice/do-hiring-managers-care-where-you-went-to-college. Accessed 6 Mar. 2024.
Homayoun, Ana. Erasing the Finish Line. Hachette Go, 29 Aug. 2023.

In my opinion, students and parents overvalue our high school careers. I don't deny that it plays a role in our career, but it's not the end all be all. As students and parents, we should redefine success be to internally focused instead of on arbitrary standards like GPA or test scores.