Addressing Gender Equality | Teen Ink

Addressing Gender Equality

April 4, 2024
By Anonymous

What obstacles do women encounter on their journey towards equality? Women experience various challenges and unfair treatment in different fields and environments. They often face gender discrimination, wage inequality and other treatment. In a world where gender disparities persist, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie and Hillary Rodham Clinton stand as influential voices advocating for women’s rights. 

In her speech, Hillary Clinton makes a compelling argument regarding the significant impact of women’s economic contribution and productivity gains on global growth. She emphasizes this point by stating, “The productivity gains attributable to this modest increase in women’s overall share of the labor market accounts for approximately one-quarter of the current U.S. GDP” (lines 77-79). This statement highlights the substantial economic value that women bring to the workforce. Furthermore, Clinton strengthens her argument by referencing The Economist, which points out that “the increase in employment of women in developed countries during the past decade has added more to global growth than China has” (lines 72-73). This external evidence underscores the magnitude of women’s economic contributions on a global scale. Additionally, Clinton underscores the significant presence of women in the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) economies, noting that “more than 60 percent of women in the APEC economies are part of our formal workforces” (lines 67-70). This data-driven argument highlights the vital role of women in driving economic output within the APEC region. Clinton’s recognition of the numerous barriers that impede women’s full economic inclusion further strengthens her argument. She points out that “laws, customs, and the values that fuel them provide roadblocks to full inclusion” (lines 84-85), suggesting systemic factors that hinder women’s participation in the formal workforce. Furthermore, she highlights specific inequalities faced by women, such as the lack of inheritance rights in the APEC region, where “some women… can’t inherit property or businesses owned by their fathers” (lines 94-95). This example illustrates the legal and societal disparities that undermine women’s economic agency. Moreover, Clinton addresses financial barriers, noting that “some are even subject to different taxes than men… denied access to credit and may even be prohibited from opening bank accounts, signing contracts, purchasing property, incorporating a business, or filing lawsuits without a male guardian” (lines 98-102). By delineating these structural impediments, Clinton underscores the multifaceted challenges that hinder women’s economic participation and advancement.

In contrast, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie focuses on societal expectations that perpetuate gender-based disparities. She highlights the reinforcing of inequality as Adichie draws attention to the societal standard that “women should be nurturing and men should be assertive.” This exemplifies how these expectations restrict possibilities and fuel gender-based disparities. Adichie emphasizes the importance of breaking free from gender expectations to foster equality in all aspects of life, emphasizing the need to question and reshape social standards in order to create a society that is more egalitarian. Additionally, Adichie addresses the significant impact of cultural norms on women’s advancement. She states that “rigid gender roles can be dictated by deeply ingrained cultural norms, impeding women’s access to education and career opportunities.” This demonstrates the structural obstacles that prevent women from advancing due to societal expectations. Adichie also promotes action, stating that “dismantling barriers that hinder women from reaching their full potential requires challenging cultural expectations.” This quotation emphasizes the proactive measures required to remove cultural barriers and promote gender equality.

In comparing the approaches of the two speakers and arguing that Clinton’s approach was more effective in supporting gender equality, because she placed more emphasis on expanding women's chances and rights through systemic reforms and legislative improvements. endations, such as ensuring equal pay for equal work and supporting working mothers, aiming to address the root causes of gender inequality. Her approach focuses on addressing institutional barriers to gender inequality and tangibly advancing gender equality through policy measures. In contrast, Adichie’s approach focuses on challenging outdated gender stereotypes and cultural perceptions, advocating for social change and cultural shift. While this cultural shift is necessary, policy changes and institutional reforms are essential to achieve long-term, sustainable gender equality. Therefore, Clinton’s approach is more effective because it proposes more concrete and feasible solutions that can help actually advance gender equality.

In conclusion, Adichie and Clinton take different tacks when it comes to combating gender inequality. Adichie focuses on dispelling antiquated gender stereotypes and pushing for cultural changes, while Clinton prioritizes systemic reforms and policy changes. Clinton's methodical approach to implementing tangible legislative changes and institutional improvements is more successful in promoting and advancing gender equality, even though both strategies have advantages. We may move toward a more fair and inclusive society where gender equality is a reality rather than just a goal by integrating the two strategies.