Are All Dreams Possible, Even The American Dream? | Teen Ink

Are All Dreams Possible, Even The American Dream?

June 5, 2024
By Anonymous

To own a house and a car, to be able to afford necessities without worrying about prices, and have economic opportunities is the American Dream. This is why so many people immigrate to the United States of America, in hopes of starting fresh for a better life for themselves, their families, and future generations. However, is the American Dream still easy to achieve like it was a hundred years ago? And why is it easier for some people to achieve the American Dream and it is more challenging for others to?


The race of someone plays a critical role when it comes to their ability to achieve the American Dream. According to EduBirdie, white people have a higher chance of achieving the American Dream while minorities have a lower chance. It is disappointing that in the “Land of the free,” minorities are still at a disadvantage. For example, I see Mexicans in my town trying to sell fruit, bracelets and ice creams to make a living to support their families financially. It is unfortunate that they can not work for a higher paying job due to them being immigrants and their inability to speak English. 


Another struggle to achieve the American Dream is job competition. The Plaid Press states that many Americans are unable to find a meaningful job. The high cost of education, healthcare and house bills, limits Americans ability to get ahead. With the rise of inflation, Americans are struggling to remain financially stable. According to CNET inflation is affecting six out of seven adults' overall finances. Picture this, Americans are trying to work their way to the top and become millionaires. But how are these Americans supposed to achieve this goal in their lifetime when bills are high, food is expensive and so is healthcare? These Americans work so hard to have most of their money go to these necessary expenses. 


In addition, according to The Week many Americans are losing hope in the American Dream. They believe that it is more challenging now than ever to accomplish this dream. Also, The Week states that Americans born in 1940 had a 92% chance of getting a higher income than their parents but Americans born in 1980 only had a 50% chance. It’s mind blowing how the chance of increasing your income compared to your parents has drastically decreased over the years. Most Americans work tirelessly to make money in hopes of being able to one day own their own houses, support their families financially and not have to worry about losing money. It’s disappointing that they feel like all of their hard work isn’t paying off and they’re still struggling. 


In conclusion, I believe that the American Dream is still possible, however, it is just more difficult for most people to attain these days. With factors such as race, inflation and job competition, the American Dream is more challenging than ever to accomplish. However, with hard work, dedication and perseverance, I believe that this difficult dream can still be achieved, despite an American’s race, gender, religion, and background


The author's comments:

It is an opinion editorial about social issues of the American Dream.