Chris Kyle | Teen Ink

Chris Kyle

October 27, 2015
By LBailey BRONZE, Cincinnati, Ohio
LBailey BRONZE, Cincinnati, Ohio
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

 There are three types of people in the world, sheep, wolves and sheepdogs. Oblivious sheep carry on their lives, and follow a similar routine day to day. Wolves use aggression, force and hostile ideals to attack the sheep, who are incapable of defending themselves. Chris Kyle, from a young age was raised as a sheepdog, a protector of innocent sheep from the belligerent wolves of the world. A question is raised however, who or what declares people as sheep, wolves or sheepdogs.


Born and raised in Texas, from his adolescence years he was in the woods hunting with his father. Although it promoted the violence that he ultimately built his legacy on, it taught him respect. A sportsman is an ethical man, only taking lethal clean shots, so no one suffers. “One shot, one kill,” as the sniper's creed goes. For work in his young adult years, Kyle became a bronco rider. Known for ‘breaking’ broncos, he was one of the best around. The rodeo life is not an easy one. To consider Kyle a “hard***” is an understatement. Tough as nails, sustaining countless concussions and bone fractures and breaks.


Kyle, from a young age, was inspired to defend his country. Attempting at his second enlistment, he, at age 30, joined the BUDS program of Navy SEAL training. Considered to be an old man to the program, his body was put through the most deteriorating challenges known to man. A Navy SEAL is a master of death with a stealth and swift sense of mobility, the team works in unison on SEa Air and Land. Attaining this title is not simple. The program has a “no cut policy,” the only way to get out is to quit. As a graduating Navy SEAL in 1999, he was one of the 10% of the starting team to actually finish BUDS. 


Chris Kyle served our country for ten years. A hero simply for his dedication and service to our country. On his four tours during the Iraq War he was honored for his bravery and military skills. He has been dubbed the Most Lethal Sniper in US History, his longest confirmed kill being 2,100 yards. Kyle’s morality has been both demeaned and praised by modern media, however, no argument can dispute his significance, with over 160 confirmed kills. In the cities of Fallujah and Ramadi, he killed so many insurgents that they signaled him out, placing a $20,000 bounty on the head of the “Devil of Ramadi”. A humble man, Kyle only expresses regret, not accomplishment, because he regrets those he wasn’t able to protect. 


He is the most well-known US military sniper of all time, popularized by the 2014 film American Sniper based off Kyle’s true experienced discussed in his autobiography. One may ask, how did he come to earn the title of the ‘Most Lethal Sniper in US History?’ Through ambition, bravery, grit, hard work, humbleness, fearlessness, and heart. Chris Kyle was a sheep dog, however, are these the qualities that can determine one’s ultimate place? Absolutely not.


No set list of qualities can define a sheepdog, a sheepdog is a hero. Chris Kyle will forever be seen a hero, not because of his countless accomplishments, but for his sacrifice to protect the ones he loved, as well as those he had never even met.