A Belief | Teen Ink

A Belief

By Tiffany Goodwin BRONZE, Amery, Wisconsin
Tiffany Goodwin BRONZE, Amery, Wisconsin

It’s true we all have many beliefs. Whether it’s that we believe in ourselves or other things, we all have them. One huge belief in my life is God. I know some people don’t believe in Him, but that’s why I’m here to encourage the unbelievers to change their minds. God is the way and the light (John 14:6)`.

I’m going to start telling you some basic information about the Bible. The Bible is a group of writings from about forty different people; thirty in the Old Testament and ten in the New Testament. For example, Psalms are the works of several authors; which David is the best known. But Psalms were also written by Moses, by Asaph, by a man named Ethan, and by the sons of Korah.

The stories that have been told in the Old Testament date from the earliest times, and were both written down, and told out loud. As time passed they were collected together and received by the Hebrew's, some of which were called the prophets. The prophets transmitted God's messages to humans. Yet these Psalms are also preserved in the Bible as part of God's message to mankind.

The New Testament stories and teachings were widely known among the early Christian churches. The letters of Paul to the Christians in several cities were likely the earliest writings that are now found in the New Testament but there are many other letters as well. Gradually it became clear to the early churches which writings were truly inspired and which were false or simply educational messages from religious authors.
Spread out over 1600 years, it is truly amazing that all forty of these authors, have such a similar message in spite of their great difference in language, culture, and time. There is a reason for that! It’s that these forty or so writers are all secondary authors. There is actually only one primary author, the eternal God.

I'm going to tell you the reasons why we even have the bible. The Bible reveals that man was created directly by God “in His image” (Gen. 1:27). “The Bible tells us that our spirit came from God and will return to God” (Ecc. 12:7). Man came from the sublime, not the slime. We are more than just a improved monkey. “We came from God’s Almighty Hand to live in harmony with His divine purposes” (Rom. 1:21). Do you know Him? This is why the Bible was written. “We know that the Son of God has come, and has given us understanding so that we may know Him who is true; and we are in Him who is true, in His Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God and eternal life” (1 John. 5:20). The Bible was created to help us better understand God, to have us know Him so we can have entirely life with our Heavenly Father.

Next you should know who God is; since that’s what He wants. God is knowable, approachable, creative, forgiving, honest, and capable. Not only can we know him, we can know him, intimately. According to the prophet Jeremiah "Let not the wise man boast of his wisdom, or the strong man boast of his strength or the rich man boast of his riches, but let him who boasts boast about this: that he understands and knows me, that I am the Lord, who exercises kindness, justice and righteousness on earth, for in these I delight," declares the Lord. (Jeremiah 9:23,24). God invites us to talk to him. We don't need to be all the way holy, or follow the Bible with no mistakes. It is His nature to be loving and accepting when we go to Him. "The Lord is near to all who call on him, to all who call on him in truth." (Psalms 145:18). God is creative. "Great is our Lord and mighty in power; his understanding has no limit." (Psalms 147:5) "...where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth." (Psalms 121:1,2). God created all of the earth and the critters on it, for His creativity never ends. God is forgiving and will forgive us from the moment we begin a relationship with him, no matter what we have done. "We are made right in God's sight when we trust in Jesus Christ to take away our sins. And we all can be saved in this same way, no matter who we are or what we have done... We are made right with God when we believe that Jesus shed his blood, sacrificing his life for us." (Romans 3:22,25). Every promise God makes to us can be fully counted on. We can take him at his word, for it is the truth. God is honest. "The unfolding of your words gives light; it gives understanding to the simple. Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path." (Psalms 119:130,105). He is the light to our path meaning he makes it clear to us what path He wants us to take from the scriptures in the Bible.

Know that you know all of that you should understand the “Ten Commandments” and why we have them. They are important because they help shape the basic ethical laws of many nations. The “Ten Commandments” tells people not to steal, murder, and not to tell lies about others, or things you have done. It told people to avoid jealousy, and to respect, and look up to their parents. The “Ten Commandments” also helped develop a belief in the "rule of law." This idea shows that laws should apply to everyone equally. The “Ten Commandments” tell us what is wrong and why not to do them. Also the “Ten Commandments” are really basic in our life. If the “Ten Commandments” are done, then you are sinners.

All of this is great to know, but I don’t think I have you convinced. I'm going to give you a relief story of mine to help you believe there is a way to see, hear, and feel God. This year was hard for me to focus on God. I was in and out of his bond. I made some choices that definitely did not follow what he wants. One of the most terrible experiences I went through was when my father got into his "accident". I don't believe it was an accident, he got ran completely over by a dump truck when his driver went through a stop sing. My father got flown to Regions in Minnesota. He had a 12% chance of making it throughout the night. Being rushed into three surgeries right after each other, my family believed he wouldn’t. The only thing my whole family was doing was praying to our Heavenly father. I of coarse felt as if I shouldn't be praying along with them. I mean I have no right to be asking him to be saving my dad when I haven’t been following his word at all. I got up and went out of the hospital room. As I walk through the hall down to the waiting room, I felt a tug in my stomach. I can't really explain it, but it was tugging. I keep walking only to find myself lost in the hospital. I calmed myself down knowing I would soon enough be found and brought back to where I came from. I sat down and asked God to forgive me for everything I had done and described what I had did that needed the forgiveness. I got done and the tugging was gone and for some reason I felt okay about my dad, knowing he will be alright. I knew this must have been from God forgiving me. "Repent, then, and turn to God, so that your sins may be wiped out, that times of refreshing may come from the Lord." (Acts 3:19) I limitedly began praying for my father. I told God exactly what I wanted him to do; to fix my dad in a short amount of time and to heal him fully. My dad did make it through the night, but the healing time they said would take him to fully recover, if he even would, would be up to a year. I, again, started to pray to God to heal my dad within a week for we needed him home. "Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened. Or what man is there among you who, if his son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will he give him a serpent? If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask Him!” (Matthew 7:7-11 (NKJV). Within a week my dad was being released to go home fully healed! What a miracle; a miracle from god.

God is the one belief in many of our lives, but for you that don't believe, this should be a way to understand why it is so important to believe in God. Life for me personally got easier when I put my worries and trust onto him. To have a belief is why we keep going. To believe we can do, or believe things will get better, for these things happen with the belief of our creator, God.

I wrote this because I felt teens my age needed to hear the importance of God.