Divinity | Teen Ink

Divinity

By King_KDA ELITE, Burlington, Washington
King_KDA ELITE, Burlington, Washington

"Numquam finitur, donec vita finiatur."
- K. D'Angelo Alexander

It’s in everyone,

We’ve all got some

Great, special thing

Prophets and poets;

They all show it

It exists in “we”

United as one, I and I

Open your eyes,

And truly see

That there exists no such thing

As class, and creed;

There is no “me”

Only one true breed: living things

Everything that lives and breathes

Has some divinity

There is no one thing

Above another

Only us, with all our colors

In this life, we all belong

So why can’t we just get along?

Why should there be such a sad thing

As pointless, selfish greed?

I believe that all people are equal, and it is extremely difficult for me to understand racism, and superiority-complexes. One of my biggest wishes since childhood has been to find a solution to end conflicts between different groups of people, to somehow end this constant violence that exists within our daily lives. I find nothing wrong with aspiring to achieve greatness, or to want a nice car, but I do think that it is immoral to put others beneath you to attain those goals.

This poem is just a manifestation of my emotions, and thoughts on this topic, as I believe that divinity exists within the essence of all living beings. I personally am not religious, but I do feel that there is something out there we do not understand, although I do not believe that anything is above or greater than any given thing.

Hopefully this piece will make you perceive your co-inhabitants in a more positive light, and possibly even inspire you to try and make a change for the better, however small it may be.