The art of balance (or lack thereof) | Teen Ink

The art of balance (or lack thereof)

By IzzathFathima BRONZE, Singapore, Other
IzzathFathima BRONZE, Singapore, Other

I brush my teeth until my gums whiten and blood stains the sink. I press my fingernails into my palms until they break the skin and the red flows freely. I fixate on a single speck of dust on my bedroom floor until my eyes dry out and start to itch. I devour food too quickly, leaving me bloated and uncomfortable for hours. I starve myself until my body begs for nourishment, then I indulge in excess and complain about hunger pangs. I spend hours meticulously building a tower from a deck of playing cards, sweating under the intensity of my focus, and turn the fan on at the finalization of the summit. I construct my dreams too close to the edge of the sea, cultivate my hopes on the slopes of an active volcano. I place my heart within your reach—beating and raw— there on your bedside table. I let myself remember your name. I go hours without water, only to buy another balm with manuka honey to soothe the split, dry skin of my lips. I confine myself to my room and lament my sadness. I stare too long at the discoloration beneath my eyes in the blotchy bathroom mirror at 3 a.m. I complain too loudly about seasonal depression and refuse to step into the sunlight. I immerse myself in apocalyptic narratives, pollution, endangered species, and war—far beyond what is a healthy amount prescribed for a barely present high school graduate. Knowledge is destruction. Knowledge is survival. 

Unknowingly, you embody both.

I’m walking a tightrope ten feet above the ground, with your arms below me, and I’ve never been more conscious of where I place my feet. I could fall. I truly could. I could let this take my life. 

But I don’t think I want to.

Everything is either overwhelming or insufficient. It stings or it remains stagnant. I cower in the corner or I focus on its chest, waiting for the rise and fall. 

Oh, how I long to understand what it is to be in perfect balance.

An old piece of writing dug out from my treasure chest (notes app). 

It's meant to represent the truly unforgiving struggle of consciously trying to be better through self-destructive tendencies and how everything seems much farther away when you start reaching for it.