You Had My Heart | Teen Ink

You Had My Heart MAG

By AsIAm PLATINUM, Somewhere, North Carolina
AsIAm PLATINUM, Somewhere, North Carolina

"According to some, heroic deaths are admirable things. (Generally those who don't have to do it. Politicians and writers spring to mind.) I've never been convinced by this argument, mainly because, no matter how cool, stylish, composed, unflappable, manly, or defiant you are, at the end of the day you're also dead. Which is a little too permanent for my liking." — Jonathan Stroud (Ptolemy's Gate)

I ran into you at the supermarket
After a chunk of time had passed
A lifetime ago
Was beach walking and movie watching
And summer skin and tan toes
And you and me
Promising never to let go

You said I had something, it may have been yours
It was big and red and I swear it had a pulse
It looked kind of like a heart
But you know that's ridiculous

Anyway, you must have dropped it in my pocket
The first time we kissed
You know that summer was so long ago
I would have told you sooner, but like I said
The summer was oh so long ago, and I just recently found it
I do hope it wasn't dreadfully important
That trivial thing I found
I didn't know that it was yours

I'm afraid I broke it.

I made it a little bumbling on purpose - you know that awkward feeling you get when trying to tell somebody you broke something of theirs.

asofnow GOLD said...
on Mar. 18 2013 at 12:03 am
asofnow GOLD, Troy, Michigan

Nothing gold can stay ~ Robert Frost

AHHHHH so good! Where do you get your amazing ideas from? Teach me? ;)

SElahi BRONZE said...
SElahi BRONZE, Burr Ridge, Illinois

"Be the change you wish to see in the world."

This poem is the definition of "show, don't tell". Keep up the good work!

on Mar. 4 2012 at 8:27 am
beautifulspirit PLATINUM, Alpharetta, Georgia

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
--Eleanor Roosevelt

This was like a movie---I could just picture the scene. The flow and rhythm of this poem was unexpected. I loved it~

on Feb. 3 2012 at 8:44 am
SuNshiNe007 ELITE, Magee Ms., Mississippi

Never Give Up, And Know That God Will Always Love You!

Wow! i love this:) Great Job!! And keep up the great Job!

on Jan. 10 2012 at 9:18 am
Ahmad-Mobeen GOLD, Rawalpindi, Other

Understand life... Don't just STAND UNDER it!

Awesome work dude! =D

leafy said...
leafy, City, Other

Gil: I would like you to read my novel and get your opinion. 
Ernest Hemingway: I hate it. 
Gil: You haven't even read it yet. 
Ernest Hemingway: If it's bad, I'll hate it. If it's good, then I'll be envious and hate it even more. You don't want the opinion of another writer. 

Ok, I'll admit it, at first I wasn't a huge fan of this one. But then I thought about it more, and I realized that I really liked the trickling and wandering flow of this. Nice job :)

Garnet77 PLATINUM, Sinagpore, Other

"Everything's a triangle." ~ My mother

"Write what you love, write what you care about, because sometimes, it's the easiest way to be heard."

This was so good! I've never been much of a poet, and I don't read many, but I actually really liked the way you made it flow. Good job! :)

on Apr. 14 2011 at 9:39 am
Beachgirl1 PLATINUM, Bellevue, Washington

"If You Don't Fight Back, You've Already Lost."
"Don't suppress Laughter, it goes to your thighs."

This poem is fantastic. I keep reading it over and over. Great flow, great work. Congrats on getting published :)  u should be proud!

AsIAm PLATINUM said...
on Mar. 31 2011 at 7:34 am

Thanks! :D

PJD17 SILVER said...
on Mar. 31 2011 at 7:30 am
PJD17 SILVER, Belleville, Illinois

I do the best imatation of myself- Ben Folds

great work congrats on having it published

AsIAm PLATINUM said...

haha Thanks!  I would give anything to see this dude's face XD

AshTree SILVER said...
AshTree SILVER, Clarksville, Tennessee

"Live your art" -made this one up myself. Simple, but true.

I really like this and the way it leads up to it. Yeah you remember that heart right? well, um, I'm afraid I broke it... awkward silence.

AsIAm PLATINUM said...

Thanks!  I like to picture this scene - I think it would be rather comical. lol

Phoenix97 PLATINUM, Minneapolis, Minnesota

See lyrics to "Let the Waters Rise" by MIKESCHAIR and "Everything" by Lifehouse

Sooo, the second stanza didn't seem to fit until the end, but taken as a whole it all makes sense. I like this. The awkwardness is endearing, like the author doesn't really understand what she broke and is trying to apologize for it. Good work here.

AsIAm PLATINUM said...
on Nov. 11 2010 at 8:38 am

Thanks so much, Angel! :D It means a lot. :) And unless you count writing a kid's story with five other people as part of a school club, no, I haven't been published.  One can always hope though! :D

Healing_Angel SILVER, Sydney, Other

Live for today, not for tomorrow

This is really good! Have you ever been published? You have talent! Love the emotion and flow!

AsIAm PLATINUM said...

Thank you!  I have never considered myself 'poetically inclined', so it means a lot!

MayaElyashiv PLATINUM, Ramat Hasharon, Other

I really really like this! It's so...surreal, in an "Alice and Wonderland" type way. Like those awesome oil paintings of fantasy lands...

When I read it, nothing jumped out at me as "not right" which tends to happen a lot to me in poetry. I really hope this gets published!

AsIAm PLATINUM said...
on Sep. 13 2010 at 7:05 am

Thank you!  I've never had a boyfriend either, so I really have no idea where this came from, but I'm glad you like it! :)

on Sep. 13 2010 at 7:01 am
DindellaAmagu SILVER, Ruther Glen, Virginia

"Life is a painting."

Not bad! I give it five stars for the emotion. I've never quite felt exactly like in this poem; I've never had a boyfriend or anything like that. But I know what it's like to tell someone something that might break their heart, so I can relate.

This poem is nicely written. I enjoyed reading it.

I encourage you to keep up the great work, alright?