Into The Woods: A Great Play, But Only If You Love Musicals | Teen Ink

Into The Woods: A Great Play, But Only If You Love Musicals

By frutili BRONZE, Park Ridge, Illinois
frutili BRONZE, Park Ridge, Illinois

Into the Woods was truly a great musical, but I found myself getting uninterested very fast. It was extremely long, though quite tolerable if you like musicals. Putting aside the fact that I am not a fan of musicals, the play itself was very well written and had a great plot line. Into the Woods intertwines a few popular short stories, such as; Cinderella, Rapunzel, Jack and the Beanstalk, and Little Red Riding Hood. The directors did a great job of connecting all the characters together and the scenes flowed nicely.

There was more singing than talking, but that is what anyone could expect from a musical. The voices of the actors and actresses were astonishing. One character in particular that really stood out was Cinderella’s Mother, played by actress Dilan Gursoy. In the original Cinderella movie, her stepmom was wicked and not liked upon by most people. In this musical, however, the mother only appeared a few times and when she did she would the most beautiful songs. Her voice carried throughout the entire auditorium and every time left the audience in awe. The best part of this play was watching childhood stories come to life and colliding together to make an amazing musical.

Maine South High School Play, 2019