Civil RIghts | Teen Ink

Civil RIghts

“I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character”-Martin Luther King Jr. This is Martin Luther King Jr giving out a speech of I have a dream. Racism is an important topic because of how it discriminates a person for just the color of their skin. In the literary works of I have a dream by Martin Luther King Jr and Where is the love? By the Black-eyed Peas the reader and listener is introduced to the idea of how bad racism is and what people are doing to other people because they have a different skin color.

According to Martin Luther King Jr in the excerpt I Have a Dream he would say yes because in his speech he said “we will not be satisfied until justice rolls down” which means if they were together and have justice they can stop marching and protesting. He would also say to be more tolerant towards people of color. Another piece of evidence that he would say yes is in this text “ ‘We can never be satisfied as long as our children are stripped of their selfhood and robbed of their dignity by signs stating “for whites only.’ ” This means that they will be fulfilled once they see that the signs that say for whites only are gone and fix people’s behaviors to seeing people of color. Martin Luther King Jr would say yes we can fix racism once we fufill these things that are putting people down

The Band The Black-eyed Peas would say yes If we all came together. And to come to love each other and this shows with these text “Man, you gotta have love just to set it straight Take control of your mind and meditate Let your soul gravitate to the love” this shows to how we got to have love to control your mind and meditate for you to really go to love. And stop the racism. Another piece of text that shows that the Black-eyed Peas would say yes “ y'all, people gets colder Most of us only care about money makin' Selfishness got us followin' the wrong direction” this shows that most people are being more unsympathetic and selfish and if we take most of that away The Black-eyed Peas would say yes we can fix racism.

The speech I have a dream by Martin Luther King Jr and Where is the love? By the Black-eyed peas tells us how bad racism is. Martin Luther King Jr and the Black-eyed Peas Intent was to be more love and to be more tolerant to people of color.