Senior Realization | Teen Ink

Senior Realization

Waking up at 5:00 am in the morning on the first day of my senior year was kinda still a hard thing to process and accept. When you're a kid, you think it seems so far away, and you don't know what your life will look like then. But honestly, I've been making the most of it and trying to enjoy it while it lasts.

I know why people say it's the “easiest” year of highschool. You pretty much take every needed and important credit class you need from freshman to junior year. At this point, it's kinda like taking a break from all the seriousness in classes and now seniors get to enjoy the less stress and time consumption. Sure there are still important classes that we need to do well in now, but you don't have all these big subjects cramped together, and need to be forced to summarize all your criteria in a matter of a few days and then along with that do at least 4 hours of homework. 

Through all the classes I've taken I can say this. They have taught me to grow as a student, as a person, and how to be a better or engaged person in learning. Honestly sometimes I get inspired for certain subjects of teaching too. But the irony is that I'll never teach. 

The other realization is that after this year I'll never get to be a kid again. This is the final step from being a teenager, to a legal young adult. Now I am expected to make goals for myself to help me move on and start a path for my future. For example, at the beginning of the year my goal was to pass my Written Driver Test to get my permit and start Behind The Wheel Driving. Now, I'm going on my 4th lesson next month, and hopefully have my license by the end of the school year. But even when achieving really cool goals like this is fun and something that I should be proud of. The kid inside me still wants to go back to how things used to be, before all this opportunity came forth to me.

Something really big that I have come to realize in my journey of growth and development is that change is an opportunity. And while it comes at us in different ways, we grow and learn from it. A lot of people can mature, and some people just need a little bit more time for that. Which is completely acceptable. Like for example, I never would have thought I would be living in the state of Wisconsin under the circumstances I’m in now, but I’m making the most of it, and I can proudly say that since I've made the choice I did, I've been the happiest for a really long time.

We still have a whole other semester of school to complete, and after that, the 2024 graduates will no longer be high schooler's, but they will be the new generation of young adults to the world with great ideas and big opportunities that could change the world. 

In my piece, I chose to use irony, personification, and a little bit of foreshadowing. I think what really stood out more to me was the personification, because I wanted to reflect off that, being a senior now means basically I'm not a kid anymore and I'll never get to be one again. And it is still kind of a hard thing to accept. I used irony kinda in a more funny thought, basically talking about how being taught certain things was cool and every once in a while I would kinda be inspired to maybe take a career in teaching something, but I never will. Which is just the reality of it.