Bad Ad | Teen Ink

Bad Ad

December 16, 2013
By Matthew Bomberg BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
Matthew Bomberg BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Advertisements are seen everywhere—whether you are on your way to work, looking through a magazine, or just watching television Advertisement are used to sell products of all sorts to all ages, hardly anyone pays attention to the detail of the advertisement. Let’s take a further look into the advertisement and see what we find.
In the Tiki advertisement different shades of blue are used, presumably to attract a male audience. Blues and other darker colors are more appealing to a male audience whereas females are attracted to reds and pinks, colors of lighter shades. Along with the color scheme, one other thing that is poorly conveyed is the product itself. What is it? Where can it be purchased? What does it do? Why do I need it? None of these questions are answered. The product itself is pictured on top of what appears to be an Aztec type ruin. Displayed just beyond the product is a head of what appears to be a tiki head, assuming that is there because of the name “Tiki.”
The wording is entirely in capital letters. The words “GODLIKE POWER” and “MICRO-TOWER” are directly below the brand name “Tiki.” Above the product, is written “MEET YOUR NEW IDOL” in cloudy or fiery lettering. Last, and pictured with the smallest font, is the website “falconnorthwest.” Yet, no words describing the products uses or their features, no content is given to say that this is truly what they say it is.
Intensity, the first of many persuasion techniques used, is present in the wording on the advertisement. The intense aspect of this ad is the use of “godlike power.” This is implying that there is no fault in this product. Which anyone who has bought anything knows that any product has the chance of breaking or becoming obsolete. Also present is the wording “micro-tower” implying that the size is smaller than the rest of the products like this. Small, presented in this case, has more capabilities than its larger counterparts, referring back to godlike. This argument is neither proven nor disproven, but it is just an opinion of a test run or trail period not by everyday use.
The aspect of godlike powers or capabilities brings of the issue of not only religion, but also the lack thereof. With the huge debate over religion; which is better, and is there a god will steer people away from the use of this product for its inaccurate religious views. Furthermore, people of religions with one God, monotheistic religion, would take this offensively because no one—or thing—could have the power that their God has. People in a religion with multiple gods, polytheistic religions, might take this wrongly due to the belief that their gods have a power unique to each one that can never be replicated. And finally, people with no religion may steer away from this product because they feel as if there is no godly power to be equal to. The use of “god” or any other religious symbol in advertisements is a call of poor judgment and it is now clearly represented why in this advertisement.
Another persuasion issue is extrapolation. Also know as, the use little facts used to present its overwhelming power compared to others like it. “GODLIKE POWER” conveys the point of using little to no facts. This advertisement has no facts whatsoever, just using the god-like power to draw people in with false hope. This “Tiki” product is unsurpassable. It must be if it is godlike. Yet, no detail is given about the product itself, good or bad. This advertisement forces the viewer to go to the website to learn more. Information about this product not represented, what it does to how much does it cost. Based on this advertisement people don’t need to know what they are buying, they just need to buy it because it is better.

New, the persuasion technique is used to convey the products superiority to others. “MEET YOUR NEW IDOL” implies this is new and new is better. This new idol is better than your other one. Why? Because it is smaller it has godlike power. The product is new and when presented in this manner it suggests that new makes the old obsolete and no longer worth having. Implying that this product, this “Tiki,” is godlike compared to others of its kind.

This advertisement promotes the idea of buying for luxury. Buying for luxury is an ideal formed by Americans to buy what they want but don’t need. This is bad because it allows the greedy to become greedier and the poor to become more desolate, separating the social classes more than ever before. America was formed on the ideal of freedom. As society grew, people took freedom as greed and to own all they wanted, not just what they needed. This advertisement conveys and supports the habits that the Americans today have been bred and taught to believe. Luxury isn’t everything, owning everything doesn’t make you better, is this product needed or is it just a luxury.

After reviewing this one ad it becomes clear to the readers that advertisements aren’t always what they seem. Some may have a degrading or morally in accurate belief behind them, offending people of certain types. Uses color to target only a certain target group or even to convey the need for something that, you just don’t need. Next time, look at the advertisements before you buy.