Yankees Offseason | Teen Ink

Yankees Offseason

The New York Yankees suffered harshly, last season, due to injuries on important aspects of the team. Curtis Granderson, CC Sabathia, Mark Teixeira, and Alex Rodriguez were out temporarily or for the whole season of 2012-2013. That was only just a slight amount of the battered DL of the Yankees. Bringing up players from the minor league and getting the unsurpassed trades kept the team somewhat alive. Still it left Joe Girardi with a fruitless year, the Yanks not even making it to the playoffs. With so many holes to fill, the staff is going to have to find a way to rebuild the team, and keep the fans happy. On a positive note, this means there is room for improvement though; the whole Yankees community hopes to have an effective line-up by 2014.
With starters Robinson Cano, Curtis Granderson, and Hiroki Kuroda on the market, Yankees have to decide who they will keep. The first qualifying offers that were brought to the table were all turned down. Robinson Cano said he would wait till January for another offer, but the Yankees don’t have that kind of time. With other potential free agents, Robinson is going to have to speed up the process. Yankees President Randy Levine told the press that there is a possibility that Cano might not be a Yankee next year. Curtis Granderson is still a serious target though, as the Yankees have noticeable voids in their outfield with Vernon Wells and Ichiro Suzuki no longer showing the statistics of starting-caliber players. The Dodgers have an eye out for Hiroki Kuroda. The veteran right hander hasn’t made up his mind about the 2014 season, but is looking to re-sign with the Yankees or go back to Japan.
The next thing the Yankees will probably think about is what free agents they want scout. Presumable the Yankees are out for some young blood, with Carlos Beltran and Kendry Morales in their long list of free agents they are looking at. Brian McCann, considerably one of the best hitting catchers in the league, has recently signed a 5yr/$85 million contract with the Yankees. Carlos Beltran future is still an open question. He hasn’t given any hints to where he wants to go, but he expects 15 million a season for two or three years. Kendry Morales could add depth, as he is a switch-hitter and provide insurance for Mark Teixeira at first base. The Yankees have been hearing positive feedback from Morales. They hope to start negotiating soon.
The Bombers will miss their beloved closer Mariano Rivera, as he announced his retirement this year. The final out of 2013 will mark the end of an unique career for the all-time saves leader. Leaving (most likely David Robertson) with the impossible task of carrying out his success. Things won’t be the same when it’s time for a call to the bullpen, but you never know, maybe someone can follow Rivera’s footsteps. Mariano isn’t the only veteran pitcher that is closing the curtains on his MLB career, Andy Pettitte has realized that at the age of 41, its time to retire. David Phelps, David Huff, Michael Pineda and Vidal Nuno are going to compete for the rotation spots vacated by Pettitte and Mariano
The changes in the pitching lineup for 2014 are vast. Joba Chamberlain is a free-agent and it would be shocking to see the Yankees bring him back. The last two seasons have been a complete disaster for Chamberlain as he's posted an ERA over 4.30. Also Phil Hughes is most likely ending his career as a Yankee. Like Chamberlain, Hughes is a free agent and his 4-13 record has shown the Yankees that he doesn’t have the potential they were for.
As you can see, the Yankees have a lot of changes ahead of them. The changes may be for better or for worse. We will find out when the team takes the field in Houston on April 1, 2014. Regardless the 2014 Yankees will be very different than the one that was 12 games back from the playoffs last season.