Review: The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein | Teen Ink

Review: The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein MAG

By gks77 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
gks77 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin

I was hesitant to pick up The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein In fact, it spent months sitting on my desk waiting to be opened. I was skeptical after hearing that the story was written from a dog’s perspective and wondered whether it would end up being another sad dog story. How is it even possible to know how dogs think? I finally decided to just read it, and I’m glad that I did.

The Art of Racing in the Rain is one of the most unique books I have ever read. The dog, Enzo, shares his beliefs on life and death while narrating the hard times his owner – a race car driver named Denny – is going through. While Denny’s life is turned upside down, Enzo is there, always trying to help in whatever way a dog can.

Throughout the book, Enzo believes that his time on earth is for the purpose of learning how to become a human. He is excited about what awaits him after death – the chance to live life as a person. Enzo learns about life through Denny’s racing. All of the tips and tricks Denny has about racing, Enzo uses as metaphors for life. The book includes wise adages such as “This is a rule of racing: No race has ever been won in the first corner; many have been lost there,” and “The race is long. It is better to drive within oneself and finish the race behind the other than it is to drive too hard and crash.” You’ll find yourself wanting to learn all that Enzo discovers about human nature.

While the plot of this book is spectacular, the relatable and realistic characters really make the book shine. Stein does an incredible job of showing the reader the struggles Denny and Enzo face during their time together. He shows their faults and their regrets and makes them relatable. But he also shows how they overcome. These characters feel real. Stein writes, “The true hero is flawed. The true test of a champion is not whether he can triumph, but whether he can overcome obstacles – preferably of his own making – in order to triumph.”

Stein makes you want to root for them. It’s the kind of book where you become so invested in the characters, you hope for the happy ending they deserve. 

Another aspect that sets this book apart is the humor. For a book that could be very sad and depressing, Stein does a wonderful job of keeping the reader interested and smiling. While Enzo may have a lot of wisdom about how humans live, he also makes a lot of interesting (and maybe not too accurate) discoveries that will have you grinning at the pages. Just like when Enzo thinks, “Gestures are all that I have; sometimes they must be grand in nature.”

Overall, there is only one regret I have regarding this book: not reading it earlier. The Art of Racing in the Rain is a heartwarming story for anyone – not just pet owners and dog lovers – who wants a new perspective on life. Don’t hesitate to pick up this book the next time you see it. You will not regret your decision.