An Inconvenient Truth | Teen Ink

An Inconvenient Truth MAG

By Thomasw21 BRONZE, Portland, Oregon
Thomasw21 BRONZE, Portland, Oregon

America is divided about almost everything in today’s political arena – even about basic science and the well-being of our planet. An Inconvenient Truth, published in 2006 and written by former Vice President Al Gore, is artfully written and discusses the very real dangers that Earth faces as a result of climate change. I read it for a school project and found that I simultaneously loved and hated reading this book.

Each chapter captivated me to the point where I couldn’t put the book down, but the message of its dire content made it hard to read. This book’s intention was to educate people about climate change and its consequences; it did exactly that. However, I often hated the worrisome knowledge I was acquiring. At every turn of the page, I found myself torn between my desire to learn and the knowledge that I wouldn’t like what I was about to read. My inquisitive nature won every time.

Gore begins by providing background information about our earth, specifically the ozone layer and the purpose it serves. Giving readers this basic knowledge allows him to discuss other concepts in greater detail and at a higher level. Gore goes on to discuss the different kinds of greenhouse gasses and the effects each one has on the atmosphere. He also includes examples of the human activity that releases such gasses. This put a foreign idea into terms that I could understand. I had not grasped the staggering effects of climate change because it hadn’t had an immediate impact on my life. 

In one instance, Gore discusses how 2005 was the warmest year on record (note that the book was written in 2006) and that a European heat wave caused the deaths of 35,000 people. Even if the reader already knows that the earth is getting warmer, Gore frames the issue by showing present-day consequences. This tactic hopefully incites more people to take action. 

Gore knows that this information may be hard for people to comprehend, but he does his best to inform people of the current issues in climate change, and their possible repercussions. What makes this book effective, is the factual, scientific way it is written. Gore’s writing is never condescending, nor does it alienate those who are less informed than him.

Instead of saying that the world is doomed and that it is the fault of humans, Gore recommends actions that people can take to provide a safer and cleaner future for all life forms on earth. He lists the things citizens can do in their daily lives and also urges current and prospective leaders to make change on a political level.  

I am glad I took my friend’s advice and read something that changed the way I see the world. An Inconvenient Truth is a must-read for anyone who wants to become more aware of our world and wants to make changes for the betterment of our earth.

I wrote this review to help guide fellow readers to broaden their knowledge regarding an issue so important to the future of Humans and the world as a whole.