Romeo And/Or Juliet by Ryan North | Teen Ink

Romeo And/Or Juliet by Ryan North MAG

January 31, 2019
By Andrew-C BRONZE, Northborough, Massachusetts
Andrew-C BRONZE, Northborough, Massachusetts
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

What happens when you combine William Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet and Ryan North’s whimsical writing? The product is the amusing, choose-your-own adventure story called Romeo And/Or Juliet. North not only reconstructs the original narrative, but also adds new and diverse story elements and comedic illustrations by a variety of artists.

 

Because Romeo And/Or Juliet is a choose-your-own adventure story, the plot takes many forms. While reading you can faithfully follow the original plot, weave in new events, or even create whole new scenarios. Storylines that add or remove events change Romeo and Juliet’s journey, but the destination is the same. For example, as Juliet you can refuse to kiss Romeo at the Capulet party, postponing the event until later in the story. The new scenarios that North creates range from wildly comedic to tragic. For instance, Romeo and Juliet get married and have children, and they all weightlift! The tragic storylines emulate Shakespeare’s writing where Romeo, Juliet, or both meet their demise, but their deaths have an original twist.

 

North’s style is comedic, often breaking the fourth wall to interact with the reader. His writing is different from Shakespeare’s not only in the tone but in format. Italics are used when quoting monologues or conversations from the original play, but the directional texts are small and full of amusing quips. North also writes in the easily understood modern English. He finds a way to add humor by making each line more absurd than the last. Even when the book ventures into tragedy, it does not linger long.

 

In addition to the writing, the illustrations hold the reader’s attention throughout the vast walls of text with vivid colors and unique styles. Each artist brings a fresh perspective to the various characters and scenes. In comedic sections, characters are drawn in bright cartoons. When the book becomes serious, characters look more human with well-defined facial features, and the coloring becomes monochromatic with blacks and reds dominating the illustrations. 

 

Romeo And/Or Juliet is not a book for young kids. The story references drinking, violence, and, of course, some sexual innuendos. If you don’t enjoy flipping through books in a non-linear path you may not appreciate this book either. 

 

However, if you enjoy comedic stories, creative writing, and vivid illustrations then you will definitely enjoy this book.


The author's comments:

I hope you enjoy this book as much as I did!