Never Finished | Teen Ink

Never Finished

By secret_story101 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
secret_story101 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin

Never Finished is the second book by David Goggins, a retired Navy SEAL and an ultra-endurance athlete. It is a continuation of his first book, Can’t Hurt Me. In this book, Goggins shares more stories from his life and provides additional insights into his philosophy on mental toughness and resilience.

The book is split into three parts. The first part focuses on Goggins’ experience running the Moab 240, a 240-mile ultra-marathon through the desert. He shares his preparation process, the challenges he faced during the race, and the lessons he learned along the way.The second part of the book is a series of essays on various topics related to mental toughness and self improvement. Goggins covers a wide range of topics, including goal-setting, self-discipline, and the importance of taking action. The final part of the book is a collection of interviews with other high achievers, including Jocko Willink, Joe Rogan, and Jesse Itzler. Goggins uses these interviews to explore the mindset of successful people and to offer additional insights on how to become mentally and physically resilient. 

The author uses tough, profane language to describe his life before he joined the military and how he handled adversity that inspires the reader to also take action. For example, He had some pretty low times in his life before he joined the military. By showing his own, strong thoughts, Goggins empowers the reader to also face their own challenges.  

Throughout the book, Goggins also uses stories from his life to illustrate the lessons he wants to teach the reader, which adds interest to something that may have otherwise been boring. For instance, He remembers back to when he learned to swim and how he stayed in the shallow end to practice his stroke. He’s implying that we need to train our minds as much as our bodies. It’s setting goals and always working hard for the next thing in our life. I thought this was a really good lesson and how he explained it. 

I recommend the book, “Never Finished” if you are interested in developing your mental toughness and learning from one of the toughest and most resilient people on the planet.  Whether you are an athlete, entrepreneur, or just someone looking to push yourself to new limits, this book will provide you with the tools and inspiration you need to succeed.

Book review written by a junior in highschool.