The Man's Demise | Teen Ink

The Man's Demise

April 19, 2024
By Garrettmartin2005 BRONZE, Melbourne Beach, Florida
Garrettmartin2005 BRONZE, Melbourne Beach, Florida
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Jack London's "To Build a Fire" is a masterful tale of a man's solitary trek in the sub zero Yukon. The narrative is a classic example of naturalism, where nature is indifferent to the man's journey. London's use of detailed descriptions, like the "sharp, explosive crackle" of the man's spit freezing before it hit the ground, immerses you in the setting. The protagonist's gradual realization of his predicament is encapsulating, as he attempts to build a fire in desperate conditions, a struggle symbolizing man's fight against the forces of nature. The man's lack of imagination is contrasted with the dog's instinctual fear, highlighting the theme of instinct versus intellect. Text examples like "The trouble with him was that he was without imagination" and "The animal was depressed by the tremendous cold" shows this contrast. The story builds to a tense climax, with the man's fingers numbed by the cold, unable to grasp a match. It's a powerful exploration of humanity's fragileness and an important reminder of our place in the natural world. London doesn't just tell you about the cold; he makes you feel it in your bones with his vivid imagery. Overall London was able to create a very powerful tale that still is used in literature today, and is able to teach many valuable lessons.


The author's comments:

I enjoyed reading this story that has been being taught for decades.