The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway | Teen Ink

The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway

June 23, 2024
By haoweiwang BRONZE, Beijing, California
haoweiwang BRONZE, Beijing, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

The overarching theme of this book is about perseverance and overcoming obstacles through every means no matter it takes. The author mainly depicts the old man (Santiago)’s solitary battle against the enormous fish, which, from my perspective, is a metaphor of showing human beings’ underlying capability and determination against all odds.

 

In the very beginning, Hemingway shows how miserable Santiago is, for instance, it has been over two months since he captured some fish that are sizable enough. However, by presenting the unfortunate circumstance, Santiago’s eventual triumph is highlighted to a greater extent.    When struggling against the marlin, the thought of giving up never slips through Santiago’s mind, which embodies the indomitable spirit of humans. Probably Santiago’s pride and eagerness to a decent fame are the main reasons that drive him to endure the harsh situation. You will never know what feat a person can accomplish unless he’s on the edge of the cliff, just like Santiago.

 

What impresses me the most is that it is hard to believe an elder can handle such a severe task, and he even put his life into dealing with the marlin for the whole time. Also, the young boy (Manolin)’s continuing support and trust in Santiago is extremely touching. Manolin’s genuine kindness and other people’s jeer forms a stark contrast, through this sarcastic depiction, the author might want to convey the idea that pure warmth will be eliminated step by step when one gets older.



JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 0 comments.