The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan | Teen Ink

The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan

By Sammi10 SILVER, Thornton, Colorado
Sammi10 SILVER, Thornton, Colorado

Food. The essence behind the #1 New York Times bestseller, The Omnivore’s Dilemma. Written by one of the greatest American food activists, Michael Pollan, this book takes its readers on a journey through the food industry while uncovering some of its most gruesome flaws. Ever wonder where your food comes from? If so, this is the book that will acknowledge all your questions that always seem to go unanswered.
The Omnivore's Dilemma’s purpose is to answer a question that seems so basic, yet few have been informed enough to answer: What am I eating and where did it come from? To do this, Pollan explores the fields of corn, grass, and forests. From working on a farm to hunting and gathering his own food, Michael Pollan’s versatility as being both a researcher and explorer are showcased flawlessly. Pollan’s discoveries of alternative ways to satisfy the omnivore within us will help diminish the uncanny feelings one has towards the veiled food industry.
The countless hours of research that went into creating this novel are appreciable, yet, I found these parts boring and dry. What makes The Omnivore’s Dilemma worth reading is how it is not solely molded by research, but instead by personal experiences. Any author who is willing to go work an entire week on a farm and witness the slaughtering of animals just for his readers deserves to be commended. And that is exactly what Michael Pollan does. Although I found myself yawning during the heavily researched introduction, as the book continued, I found it getting exceedingly engrossing until I could not put the book down and came to the last page within a few hours.
Despite the few areas in The Omnivore’s Dilemma that are dull, my overall experience reading this book was delightful. Whether Pollan’s words present historical facts on hybrid corn or describe his humorous experience gathering fungi (mushrooms), his writing is impeccable. Although I was highly interested in this book, this may not be the case for everyone. I would only recommend this book to those who are interested in knowing the truth behind the food that sits on their plates every day and are willing to change the way they eat for the better of their community and the world.