A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle | Teen Ink

A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle

Review of A Wrinkle in Time
Author: Madeleine L’Engle

I choose the book, “A Wrinkle in Time,” because it was about traveling through space. I am interested in space, so I liked that aspect of it. The book, “A Wrinkle in Time” was written in 1962. In 1957, USSR launched a satellite called Sputnik, which launched what became the space race between USSR and America. This book was written in a time where ideas about space travel were still developing and people were feeling excited about the potential of going into space. Having books about futuristic space travel gave people something to read that fueled their imagination about space.

In the book, “A Wrinkle in Time,” the main characters are Meg, Charlie and Charles. Charles is a very smart boy who understands the concept of using the special technology told to him by other worldly beings. Meg is the sister of Charles, she accompanies him on his journey to find their father with the beings. A third human, Charlie, accompanies them. Charlie is athletic and a lot older than Meg and Charles. The three travel through space to fight what has trapped their father.

I was very enthusiastic about reading the book because there was always something going on that kept the book fresh and exciting. For instance, when Meg, Charlie and her father went to another planet to escape, Meg was having conversations that told you a lot about the beings on that planet. While it wasn’t super important to the plot, it gave you something to think about in addition to what was going on in the story. I enjoyed how the book mixed something of religion with technology. For example, when they were traveling through space extremely quickly, they were escorted by with what appeared to be some form of angels, although they were not stated as such. The angel beings told the children to fight “It,” who was using temptations to possess people, which appeared to be a representation of Satan.

I think that people who like adventure would love to read this book. It moved right along and transitioned from one problem being solved to the next problem being introduced very nicely. Of course, people who like to read about space, science fiction and fantasy will like “A Wrinkle in Time” because that is the genre of the book. If you are looking for a book about feelings and emotions, this book will not be a good choice for you.

LadySmugleaf BRONZE, Montgomery, Alabama

You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club (Jack London)

A Wrinkle In Time is one of my favorite books. I don't care much for Sci-fi, but when I read it, i was sold.