Twilight | Teen Ink

Twilight

“His expression was torn, almost pained, and so fiercely beautiful that the ache to touch him flared as strong as before. My goodbye stuck in my throat. He rose his hand, hesitant, conflict raging in his eyes, and then swiftly brushed the length of my cheekbone with his fingertips. His skin was as icy as ever, but the trail his fingers left on my skin was alarmingly warm — like I'd been burned, but didn't feel the pain of it yet.” Twilight is the story of two young teenagers fighting to over come obstacles for true love. This book is the first in a series written by Stephanie Meyer. The series consists of Twilight, New Moon, Eclipse, and Breaking Dawn. Sales have skyrocketed among teenage girls, but are now reaching out to people of all ages. This top seller had sold over 17 million copies and on November 21, was released as the hit new major motion picture. I strongly recommend reading it no matter what your interests. They are said to be the “next harry potters” and readers are hooked instantly by its enthralling story.

Twilight is the story of a romance between young Bella Swan and Edward Cullen. After Bella moves to Forks to live with her father, Charlie, she receives loads of attention from all the local boys but ignores them all. Instead, she is drawn to gorgeous outcast, Edward Cullen. Bella falls head over heals for Edward and surprisingly, Edward the same. Even when Bella discovers the Cullen's secret: that they are a family of vampires, she still can't stay away. Despite their differences, they work to overcome many obstacles in order to be together. Including, Edwards strong urge for her blood…

Stephenie Meyer wrote Twilight in the first person perspective of Bella. So while reading, we see the story through Bella's eyes leaving us to wonder about the mysterious thoughts of Edward and his family. This might sound like a downside, but it really gives you the same anxiety that Bella has keeping you glued to the book wanting to know more. Stephanie's writing is so strong it literally drags you into the book. You can smell the damp air of Forks and the feel Edward's icy skin. I'm currently reading the second book in the series, New Moon and every time is sit down to read this series I leave my living room and enter the whole new world of the Twilight gang. I get so engulfed in the book and I'm sure you will too. Some people have even called it “a vampire story for people who don't like vampire stories”. It really connects with all of its' readers.

On November 21, Twilight opened as a major motion picture in the theatres. Of course, everyone knows that the book is always better than the movie. And I have to say this one is the same but, not by much. This movie was incredible. The characters were VERY well casted. Bella was played by Kristen Stewart and was the same shy, conservative girl from the book. Even the smaller parts like Billy Black and Charlie were well played. They did leave out a few parts such as the scene in the biology lab/nurse and they certainly went into more detail into the book but I was very impressed that they did forget many parts or add any in. Overall, the movie was spectacular, but I do suggest reading the book before you see the movie. It gives it that full effect and keeps you fully aware of Stephanie's original intent.

Twilight is a great book for every person of every gender and age, there's something in it for everyone. It has been called “the new harry potter” and adored by almost all of its readers. I strongly you suggest you read this book and the rest of the series. It'll be one thing you will never regret. ☺

I disagree actually. Twilight is nothing more than a trend. The writing is poor, the plotline is weak, not to mention unoriginal. Vampire books are a dime a dozen. The whole "star crossed lover" situation..done before. And as for it being "the new Harry Potter" Twilight can't even compare to the depth JK Rowling has brought Harry Potter to. Comparing Twilight to Harry Potter is like comparing a kiddie pool to an ocean.Twilight fans have even admitted "I couldn't understand Harry Potter, and Twilight was easy to understand...plus Edward is sooo Hawwtt!!!" People like Twilight because its easy and because of Edward. Disgraceful.