A Sound of Thunder by Ray Bradbury | Teen Ink

A Sound of Thunder by Ray Bradbury

June 5, 2016
By Anonymous

Peter Beagle, an American author and playwright, once wrote, “We are not always what we seem and hardly ever what we dream” (The Lost Unicorn). People are rarely what they portray themselves to be. We all employ strategies that cover our faults, enhance our strengths, and allow others to see us as we wish to be seen. However, sometimes those strategies are inadequate and our real nature is exposed. In his short story “A Sound of Thunder,” Ray Bradbury reveals Eckels’ true personality through indirect characterization.

 

For example, Eckels’ speech displays his need to be admired by others. At one point, he brags that his exploits would be envied by “every hunter that ever lived” (502). His words show that he cares more about how he would be viewed by others rather than his own safety. He is a man who values his status above all else-and that is a dangerous attribute for a hunter.


In addition, his effect on others reveals he is selfish. When the tyrannosaurus-rex approaches, he blows the objective by running away like a coward and ditching the others, “This fool nearly killed us.” (508) This effect shows Eckles is willing to risk the lives of others in order to save his, which is a bad quality for anyone doing something dangerous to have.


Finally, his actions show he is ignorant. At one time in the story, Eckels points his rifle sarcastically at an animal, directly after being told not to kill anything not marked by red paint. “Eckels, balanced on the narrow Path, aimed his rifle playfully” (504) This action displays that he doesn’t care to take rules seriously, and acts carelessly. A trait horrible for anyone in his position.


In the end, Eckels proves Beagle right. Although he wanted others to see him as respectable and talented, the author shows his cockiness, ignorance, and exposes him as a coward. You can really see how people are rarely what they portray themselves to be.