Bird Box | Teen Ink

Bird Box MAG

By maysonblanck20 SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
maysonblanck20 SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota

When I first saw the title “Bird Box,” I thought, What a dumb idea. But when people around me continued talking about this movie, I decided to watch it. Now I realize what people mean when they say don’t judge a book by its cover. “Bird Box” is one of the most thrilling and suspenseful movies I’ve ever seen – and I almost didn’t watch it. Among other reasons, “Bird Box” is amazing because it based on a genius concept, I couldn’t count the number of times I was on the edge of my seat, and its ending leaves you guessing.

Essentially, “Bird Box” is about a mysterious force that is causing people to kill themselves. If you see the force, you will die. Molorie (Sandra Bullock) and her kids must venture through the wilderness blindfolded in order to find safety. As I watched “Bird Box,” I couldn’t help but compare it to “A Quiet Place.”  Both movies deal with the human senses – mainly sight and hearing – and both have very similar concepts. They also focus on journeys, but a lot more happens on the journey in “Bird Box.” The plot goes more in-depth and includes many scenarios which throw obstacles at the characters. “Bird Box” also has a more diverse cast (Trevante Rhodes as Tom, John Malkovich as Douglas). The characters are always butting heads and can never agree with each other; this leads to big conflicts and even death. “A Quiet Place” follows a close-knit family; no one really has a reason to butt heads and it is a lot less intense.

When I think of a suspense movie, I think of physically sitting on the edge of my seat – and this is what I was doing eighty-five percent of the movie. The movie’s nonlinear setup is suspenseful  every time it jumps back and forth in time. “Bird Box” also presents scenes where everything seems to be going well; then, of course, a wrench gets thrown into the happiness. Overall, the movie is just a series of suspenseful events that hit you out of nowhere. Also, there are parts that really confuse you and you think you’ve missed something, but then a minute or so later, that confusion is answered with something you weren’t expecting.

Throughout the movie, you’re hoping for a happy ending. After all the terror, you want everything to be resolved, right? “Bird Box” does give you a fairly happy ending, but nothing is resolved. Malorie and her two “kids” do make it to safety alive, but their solution is temporary. They can’t stay where they are forever and they can’t leave to get supplies. Does this mean there will be a “Bird Box 2”?

I learned a valuable lesson– never judge a movie by its title. I’ve never watched a movie with a storyline and  concept. The suspense and sequence of events had me on the edge of my seat for the majority of the film. Then there was the ending – leaving you to wonder how the terror will be resolved. And with nothing being resolved, I’m ready for “Bird Box 2.”

I really love the movie Bird Box and am hoping for a sequel