Aquaman | Teen Ink

Aquaman MAG

January 22, 2019
By Colton_Loeschke BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
Colton_Loeschke BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I have always been a fan of Marvel movies; nevertheless, I was excited to see the new DC movie, “Aquaman.” He has always been one of my favorite superheroes. Controlling sharks, fish, and other marine animals is pretty cool. After finally seeing “Aquaman” in the theater, I thought it was an overall good movie, despite  being a bit cheesy in parts. The actors played and fit their parts well, and there are some great one-liners.

Nicole Kidman as Atlana and Amber Herd as Mera play very strong female characters. They are both in awesome fight scenes that will elicit “ahs” from viewers. Nicole plays the queen fantastically; she is able to pull off the look of a regal queen and is an experienced actress. Jason Momoa is the perfect actor to play Aquaman with his biker looks and long hair. He is strong, entertaining, and even brings some humor to the character. According to many people who saw the movie (including my mom), Jason is a very attractive actor as well. Yahya Abdul Mateen as Black Manta was a good choice. He fit his part well, but unfortunately, his character’s storyline was poorly executed. It started off strong, exploring his back story in the submarine, but became weak when he was trying to work on the suit for Black Manta. His rooftop fight scene was also not impressive.

The actors did their best in the cheesy and otherwise cringy parts of the film. For example, when the movie begins, Aquaman and he his dad are at a bar having drinks when suddenly a motorcycle gang approaches, acting like they want to fight. Instead, they ask for a selfie as one of them pulls out a pink phone. The humor falls flat because everyone is expecting a fight scene. Similarly, the photo montage didn’t fit in well with the superhero feel. Probably the most cheesy scene is the rooftop fight scene. Here, Aquaman and Mera are on a quest to find the Trident of Neptune. Bounty hunters sent from Atlantis, and the villain Black Manta, are trying to take them back for crimes of treason. This leads to a fight scene that had poor effects and felt very elongated. Though the movie gets a bit boring in these parts, it is hard to take away from what makes the “Aquaman” good.

The movie houses some amazing one-liners and a shocking ending battle scene. I really enjoyed the flashbacks to Acquaman’s childhood when he was learning how to swim and mastering fighting with a trident. Another outstanding part is when Aquaman gets the Trident of Neptune. He emerges from behind a waterfall in the full iconic orange and green suit. Atlana says, “We don’t need a king, we need a hero.” This line sets up the superhero’s quest as he goes off to stop a war using the trident’s power to control the animals of the sea, including the gigantic beast that guarded the trident.

“Aquaman” is a roller coaster of a movie that has phenomenal actors playing their parts well. Some cheesy parts are here and there, but are no match for an amazing story of a hero battling his way to becoming king of Atlantis. “Aquaman” was everything I wanted it to be, and I am happy with how the movie portrayed one of my favorite heroes. 


The author's comments:

I'm a big fan of superhero movies and I enjoyed this one