Before Sunrise | Teen Ink

Before Sunrise

June 20, 2024
By ilovebilly BRONZE, Birmingham, Other
ilovebilly BRONZE, Birmingham, Other
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Do you take public transport regularly? If you do, then you’ve probably shared a few glances with a certain person that you feel you should go over and talk to. Except you don’t. Now you’ll probably never see that person again, despite having probably already planned out a life with them in your head. “Before Sunrise” is a film which perfectly encapsulates that feeling before it turns bittersweet. This film is not just a typical, sappy love story, but a film which explores the vulnerability and purity of human connection in a remarkably natural and raw way.

 

Directed in 1995 by Richard Linklater, “Before Sunrise” follows Jesse (a young American traveller) who meets Céline (a young French student) on a train to Vienna. After a small conversation on the train, Jesse and Céline are driven by their genuine connection to spend the night walking around the streets of Vienna before Jesse has to catch his early morning flight. What makes the film so enticing, given that it’s just one hour and forty-one minutes of two young adults talking, is the performances that Ethan Hawke (Jesse) and Julie Deply (Céline) deliver. Everything down to the natural dialogue and stolen glances that the two characters share with each other, convince an audience that we are seeing a genuine spontaneous and authentic encounter between two strangers.

 

Although the concept of two people walking around Vienna and talking may seem boring to watch, the film’s beauty is undeniable and worth seeing. The stunning architecture of Vienna just enhances the romantic atmosphere of the film and perhaps provides a dreamlike perspective on the situation. I interpreted the enchanting sunsets and architecture that we see so casually behind Jesse and Céline on their journey as Linklater’s way of hinting at the beauty of how having such a deep connection with someone can seem as though it transports you to another world. As the film progresses, we understand this more as the film becomes more intimate and we, as an audience, also feel like we’ve joined their fairy-tale like reality.

 

What stands out the most about “Before Sunrise” is definitely the dialogue. Throughout the film, topics such as love, death, philosophy and even human existence are discussed between the two characters. These all spark heavy and thought-provoking conversations, allowing the audience to simultaneously question their own thoughts and perspectives on the manner. These intelligent discussions allow Jesse and Céline to develop their unique connection and allows us to reflect on the art of human conversation. I’m not surprised that everyone I spoke to who had watched this film before, feels as though they’ve never had a true conversation. The intimacy that is cleverly created and sustained just through words is remarkable in “Before Sunrise” and with the help of the brilliant cinematography, it almost feels as though we, as an audience, are intruding on something personal as the film progresses.

 

Some of my favourite thought-provoking quotes in this film are: “But loving someone and being loved means so much to me. I always made fun of it and stuff but isn’t everything we dream in life a way to be loved a little more?”, “If there’s any kind of magic in this world, it must be in the attempt of understanding someone, sharing something.”, “It’s like our time together is just ours. It’s our own creation. It must be like I’m in your dream and you’re in mine or something.”

 

Time is crucial in this film as Jesse and Céline are driven by their lack of time with each other to make their night worthwhile. Perhaps the key message to learn from “Before Sunrise” is to take risks and act on your gut feelings which draw you to people as these connections that you form may change your whole perspective on life and deepen your knowledge and understanding of the world.

 

Overall, “Before Sunrise” is a film which perfectly explores the curiosity of young minds and hearts whilst also celebrating the art of genuine human connection.


The author's comments:

My name is Imaan Sabir and I love to watch films and I'm from Birmingham in the UK. Before Sunrise is a realistic and vulnerable portrayal of the purity of human connection.