Movie Review: Everything Everwhere All at Once | Teen Ink

Movie Review: Everything Everwhere All at Once

By JChan07 BRONZE, New York, New York
JChan07 BRONZE, New York, New York

"Everything Everywhere All at Once," set in a sci-fi universe with absurd storylines, provides profound insight into Asian American life and culture, as well as life as a whole, more than almost any other piece of media I have consumed. At its core, the movie is an argument between two people on what it means to exist on earth, and what to do with that existence. The movie addresses the complexity of existence and the necessity of creating one's own purpose in life, especially when it often feels as if we are born without one.

The film tackles many important aspects of life that resonate deeply, such as intergenerational discourse in immigrant families, specifically Asian immigrants. Growing up, my grandparents and parents emphasized working as hard as possible, getting into the best colleges, and securing the best jobs. This expectation is a significant part of the main character's life in the movie. The film challenges our perception of the "American Dream" and what it truly means to lead a successful life. It posits that true success does not necessarily equate to monetary wealth and suggests that the real American dream might not be about accumulating vast amounts of money.

My grandpa embodies this idea perfectly. He came from China alone at a young age and started working in restaurants to make ends meet. From cooking burgers and cleaning dishes, he eventually worked his way up to owning his own restaurants. To me, he represents the quintessential American dream: someone who worked their way from rags to riches. My dad always recounts how my grandpa would tell him to work his hardest, and good things would come. This rare version of the American dream shows that while hard work is essential, luck also plays a significant role. My dad, who has worked incredibly hard his entire life, often acknowledges his good fortune, which, combined with his work ethic, has brought him to where he is today.

"Everything Everywhere All at Once" is probably my favorite movie ever and definitely my favorite in recent years. I love the multiverse concept, and I think the movie does a fantastic job of making it entertaining yet easy to understand. The multiverse serves as a medium to tackle various topics, connecting them in an organic way. Themes of nihilism and existentialism are explored, with Joy believing nothing matters and Evelyn believing that since nothing matters, they should create their own meaning.

The film also touches on the American dream, with the Wangs immigrating from China to start a new life in the United States. However, their story is unconventional, as they struggle financially and are being audited by the IRS. The movie adeptly embraces and subverts stereotypes, presenting an American dream not defined by money but by finding happiness with one another. This, I believe, is the essence of the American dream: creating a successful life and building a happy family, regardless of the means.

One of my favorite aspects of the movie is its visual effects, which surpass those of many films with larger teams and higher budgets. It is a fun and absurd movie that simultaneously makes you think. In my opinion, Waymond is the best character. As the comic relief, he is also crucial to the story, inspiring Evelyn to fight with love.

"Everything Everywhere All at Once" is a remarkable blend of sci-fi, comedy, and profound philosophical inquiry, making it an unforgettable cinematic experience.

This piece was inspired by a project I did for my English class. The project's focus was on how a specific movie exemplified the American dream.