The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and The Horse | Teen Ink

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and The Horse

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and The Horse is a short film released in December of 2022 and is an animated adaptation of the children's book written by Charlie Mackesy. The film won the Best Animated Short Film Academy Award in March of 2023, and since then has gained traction on social media platforms. Opinions on the film from social media users vary, with some finding it beautifully heartwarming and others finding it childish and laughable. After watching the film, I believe that at the core, The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and The Horse is a film that teaches the virtue of kindness and empathy. Every person who watches the film should be able to take something away from it. The animation and art style of the film is beautiful, and resembles the illustrations in the original book. The main theme of the film is showing kindness to those who need it most, and ironically, most of the criticism is that the movie is too cliche and lacked action or conflict. The film is an adaptation of a children's book, and is meant to be simple and straightforward so that children will understand the themes. The dialouge, while cliche, contains life lessons that people need to hear. The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and The Horse should serve as a reminder that not every form of media needs to be dramatic and entertaining, but it should be meaningful. It is a visually stunning and comforting film for whenever you need a reminder to take a step back from life and be kind to yourself. If I could watch it for the first time again, I would.