Review on "The Shot Caller" | Teen Ink

Review on "The Shot Caller"

By CBork25 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
CBork25 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin

I initally heard about this movie in a video on social media. I thought the scene of the main character, money, in jail talking to an older, scarier inmate was very interesting. The movie follows the story of a California stockbroker who is arrested and charged for a fatal DUI accident. Under his lawyer's advice, he takes a plea deal which gets him sentenced to 16 months in prison. However, when he gets to prison, his easy life on the outside is quickly taken away. He joins a gang to stay safe. He quickly becomes reliant on the gang and is forced to do things for the gang. His sentence keeps increasing along with the severity of his crimes. The acting in this movie was outstanding. Each actor was dedicated to their rolls and embraced them fully. Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, who plays Jacob Harlon (AKA Money), was previously best known for his roles in "Gods of Egypt" and "Game of Thrones". He is a 4-time Gold Derby TV Award nominee. The supporting actors also did an amazing job. Even though some of their rolls were small they still had a great impact in the film. A character slowly giving their old life away and embracing a completely opposite life is something seen plenty of time in entertainment. However, this movie takes this concept to a completely different level. Watching this movie, you can see Jacob in each scene, changing. The way his facial hair changes, the way he gets more and more tattoos. You can even see the change in his eyes. He continuously fall deeper into the gang lifestyle. This is one of my favorite movies of all time and would highly recommend that anyone who can handle a bit of violence on the movie screen watch this movie. 

This movie is in my top 3.