Lil Peep's Single: 'Gym Class' | Teen Ink

Lil Peep's Single: 'Gym Class'

By artfreak711 BRONZE, Killeen, Texas
artfreak711 BRONZE, Killeen, Texas

"yeah, im thinking i'm back".

Around two years ago, I was in public high school, and to combat a lot of boredom that came with going, I listened to music to drown out the overbearing noise of everyday class periods and lunch, having then discovered a trendy artist, famously known as "Lil Peep," I instantly found a source of comfort in his songs, even if it was a few. Eventually having listened to his multiple arrays of mixtapes and singles, I recently discovered one of my new favorite songs, "Gym Class," which sometimes hard to listen to due to the overwhelming emotion I get while doing so.

Gym Class was a single released on March 30, 2016, by Gustav Åhr (Lil Peep), and covers the subjects of drug abuse, high school romance, and reminiscing. It's more underrated compared to its more successful singles, "Star Shopping" or "Teen Romance," but is still a very good song despite it. The tempo is slower in contrast to his previous and future works, which does well for the song as the soothing violin neatly accompanies the passive beats in the background. Gym Class keeps it sufficiently simple with its lyrics, noting how the main verse repeats twice, making room for the listener to clear their mind, becoming a great song to play on the radio or in your room. The song's impact is thoughtful, reminding us of a simpler time when it was all uncomplicated and we were not too long ago, just living in the moment.

The lyrics are superficial on a surface level, and while the song has some heavy language, it doesn't overshadow the feeling it wants to display, it is not the most poetic, but it does mean something. The overall tone is the nostalgia for a certain period in time and the remembrance of that time. For instance, at the end of the first sentence and the beginning of the second, both recall that specific time: " I can see the time pass/feel like I'm in high school" along with another part of the song: "Now I'm faded on my own in my bedroom/Now I'm looking at my phone should I text you?" hints at that nostalgia but coming more from a state of longing and deep thought for that person. Having the unfortunate awareness that memories are bittersweet, the song itself doesn't shy away from the good that came out of the change and is now their future with lyrics like: "Lil Bo Peep with a brand new flow too/Lookin' at my teeth like you never seen a gold tooth" and the beginning of the fifth lyric, "Now I'm seeing cash flow" as Peep flaunts his much more luxurious lifestyle filled with money and gold teeth.

Listening to this song leaves me with a melancholic feeling, mostly mixed emotions, but a light air at the end. I have stated previously that it may not be the most popular or the deepest in lyricism, but it does mean something, be it played in the background while thinking about the past, to dance to, or whatever you feel like doing, it's worth a listen.

I am about to be in 12th grade.