Various by Various | Teen Ink

Various by Various

By ophieshea BRONZE, Ballwin, Missouri
ophieshea BRONZE, Ballwin, Missouri

Autobiography of a Face

The song “Survivor” by Destiny’s Child strongly connects to the scene in the novel when Lucy returns to school with 1/3rd of her jaw gone. The classmates bully and taunt her. A 6th grade classmate boy says, “Hey girl, take off that monster mask- oops, she’s not wearing a mask!” (Grealy 118). After hearing this comment, Lucy responds with something that shows that other people comments don’t shake her. This scenario relates to the line in the song “Survivor” When Destiny’s child sings “I’m a survivor, I’m gonna make it” This quote shows the confidence that Lucy and the lyrics both show. As the song continues, it talks about self-destruct, which also relates to the quote of the boys making fun of her. The song says “Thought that I would self destruct, but I’m still here.” This lyric explains that no matter what happens, she will be okay. “Survivor” by Destiny’s child is a good song to show the connection of confidence that both Lucy and the theme of the song display.

“Thought that I would self destruct
But I'm still here
Even in my years to come
I'm still goin' be here

I'm a survivor (What?)
I'm not goin' give up (What?)
I'm not goin' stop (What?)
I'm goin' work harder (What?)”
- Destiny’s Child.

The song “Fix You” by Coldplay strongly connects to the scene in the novel when Lucy’s dad doesn’t fully accept the fact that Lucy has cancer, when he gets emotional during her chemo treatment. Usually, Lucy’s mom takes her to her treatments. On this occasion, Lucy’s dad, who felt un-accepting of the cancer, had taken her. In the book Lucy explains the un-comfortableness of the appointment, she says, “I watched his back as he left, and felt relieved because his embarrassment and awkwardness caused me as much pain as they did him.” (Grealy 84) Some of the feelings in this quote showed how Lucy and her father felt during this scene, he felt so helpless towards Lucy. This quote relates to the song “Fix You” by Coldplay. In the song it says, “When you’re too in love to let it go.” I think that this quote leads to Lucy’s dad not accepting the fact that she has cancer. Coldplay then goes on saying, “and I will try to fix you..” I think this also explains the feelings of Lucy’s father during this time. He wants to cure Lucy so badly. All in all, the song and book are both emotional and that is why “Fix You” by Coldplay would be a good choice as backround music.

“And high up above or down below
When you're too in love to let it go
But if you never try you'll never know
Just what you're worth

Lights will guide you home
And ignite your bones
And I will try to fix you”
- Cold Play

The song “Blurry” by Puddle of Mudd strongly connects to the scene in the novel when Lucy is shopping for wigs and begins to feel insecure about herself. She is unhappy with her appearance and to make herself feel a little better she decides to go shopping for a wig with the gesture from her mom’s friend. In the book Lucy says “.. I didn’t want to look at myself.” (Grealy 108). Lucy was feeling insecure at this moment during the book because she didn’t want to go through the pain of not being able to feel pretty. This relates to the song “Blurry” by Puddle of Mudd. In the song it says, “everyone is changing, there’s no one left that’s real to make up your own ending.” This relates to Autobiography of a face because it shows the feelings and emotion of people being fake. Of Lucy knowing that someone is going to judge her and secretly talk about her, that there is, “no one left that real” to be her true friend. “Blurry” by Puddle of Mudd would be a good choice for backround music when Lucy is trying on wigs.

“Everyone is changing
there's noone left that's real
to make up your own ending
and let me know just how you feel
cause I am lost without you
I cannot live at all
my whole world surrounds you
I stumble then I crawl”
- Puddle of Mudd

The song “Philadelphia” by Neil Young strongly connects to the scene in the novel when Ann Patchett writes about Lucy’s death. In the Afterwards part of the book, Ann, one of Lucy’s good friends, writes about the last phone call between her and Lucy. Ann says, “I want the chance to say it again. Absolutely.” (Patchett 236). This quote obviously means that she wants to be able to talk to Lucy again. It relates to the song “Philadelphia” by Neil Young. The songs theme is about death and in the song Neil sings “Don’t turn your back on me I don’t want to be alone, love lasts forever.” This lyric relates to the Afterwards when Ann explains and talks about how much she missed her and how she “wants the chance to say it again.” (Patchett, 237). I think that the song “Philadelphia” would be a good song to play at the ending of the scene of Autobiography of a face.

“City of brotherly love
Place I call home
Don't turn your back on me
I don't want to be alone
Love lasts forever.”
- Neil Young