Their Music Will Keep You Up At Night | Teen Ink

Their Music Will Keep You Up At Night MAG

May 16, 2018
By Anonymous

Cimorelli, a Nashville-based band of six sisters, released their debut album “Up at Night” in May of 2016. The teen pop band has been singing songs since 2007 and have been posting covers of favored artists on YouTube since 2009. Rising to fame with their debut cover of “Party In The USA” by Miley Cyrus, the group has covered songs by Drake, Taylor Swift, Demi Lovato, Ed Sheeran, and more. The girls have a mix of a capella, acoustic, and backing tracks with their covers. Most of their a capella videos were filmed in El Dorado Hills, California. In addition to “Up at Night,” they’ve released two full length albums – “Alive” and “Sad Girls Club” – as well as seven EPs, one mixtape, and many singles. “Up at Night” is different from their other works because these are songs that they’ve completely written by themselves. The album’s theme is the highs and lows of a relationship and life. 

A song that stands out is “Fall Back.” Combining stories between all six girls, this is the most popular song on the album, according to iTunes. The lyrics talk about going to grocery stores and football games, seeing the person you like, and falling back into the memories. The story is relatable: “I fall back, wish we had it all back. Said I was done with you but I just can’t run from you. Baby now it’s all bad. You won’t even call back. But every time I catch you looking at me like that, I, I fall back. I, I fall back.” 

One song that sags is “Brave Heart.” This is the first Christian song from this group, and it got mixed reviews from fans. The girls sing, “I place my life in your hands. Put my trust in your plans. Without you I’m falling apart. With you I have a brave heart.” 

The songs “Up at Night” and “I’m A Mess,” are solid  songs that fall in the middle between the stand out “Fall Back” and the lackluster “Brave Heart.” One thing that’s constant is the band’s adherence to the album’s theme. As band member Dani explains, “Your feelings are valid and it’s okay to be sad, it’s okay to be happy, it’s okay to be down, whatever. Everything – it’s all good and it’s productive.”