Irish Immigrant | Teen Ink

Irish Immigrant

February 1, 2019
By emiplaza BRONZE, The Woodlands, Texas
emiplaza BRONZE, The Woodlands, Texas
1 article 0 photos 0 comments


I interviewed my coach on my outside of school soccer club, Dynamo. His name is Kieran Savage. I interviewed him by calling him on speaker and recording the audio on my computer. The process of the interview taught me a few things that will help me in future interviews. When listening to the interview, I realized that it would’ve been better if I asked questions related to the question asked previously, if I used “mhm”, “interesting”, or other filler words more often, and it would’ve been better if I did it in person because of the audio quality. I also learned to be more patient and give the person that is being interviewed the time they need. This is a narrative essay written with the use of his descriptions of Ireland, his country of origin, and other answers to the questions I asked him. 
During my teenage years, I loved to play soccer and work as a chef at my uncle’s diner on late Saturdays and Sundays. I loved the feeling of victory and being unstoppable after scoring that one goal and hearing the roar from the crowd rumble the soccer pitch. I will also never forget the sounds of faint, Irish accents creeping into the kitchen of my uncle’s café. In that restaurant I discovered my passion of cooking and I can still remember the loud sizzle of butter on a hot pan, the blistering cloud of steam after opening an oven, or even the unsatisfying texture of my wrinkled fingers after washing all the grimy dishes left by our customers. These two things were what I loved to do the most and I hoped that I would be able to pursue these as professions, not just as things I loved to do.  
I am very lucky and grateful that I was able to achieve those dreams and become a chef and a soccer coach. I am chef manager for the Marriot Hotel in waterway and a coach for the Dynamo, a soccer club here in The Woodlands. You may be thinking that this does not sound impressive or that it doesn’t bring much money to the table, but they are jobs that include the two things I have always loved to do. I believe that being happy with what you do is the most important thing everyone should consider when choosing anything. Whether it is choosing a degree in college, or even applying for a job, there is nothing worse in life than working a job that you are stuck with for the rest of your life that brings you no joy. I've been cooking for probably twenty-five years now and going to work tomorrow is going to feel like day one. The sizzling of eggs in my pan while the pungent smell of crispy bacon fills my nose will always make me feel like I am still in Ireland cooking at my uncle’s diner. The pungent perfume of fresh cut grass and cologne of hard work and effort, that my soccer players wear, will always make me remember the days when I used to play the game that I will never stop loving. It’s impossible for me to work a job that doesn’t make me happy or requires for me to go to work for the sole purpose of gaining more money. So, I guess what I’m trying to tell you is, follow your dreams and do what makes you happy. 


The author's comments:

This piece is a narrative essay written with the use of answers to interview questions. It is made to be seen as a first person work.