Change the System | Teen Ink

Change the System

From the second a girl comes into this world, she is labeled less than a man. The attitude and vibe of a room changes when she walks in to sit with her father  and uncles. The topics change whether it's about who won last nights boxing match or who they believe will be next to be arrested and investigated based on today’s political news. The second she walks in she is left out of the conversation and isolated from those that surround her. And it's not intentional. She knows that, I know that. I know that my family loves me. It's just how it is. To them, I am not supposed to hear about those things or talk about such things because my gender makes it taboo and not okay. And there is no escaping this label. As a woman I will forever be less than no matter where I go. It's not about how much money you have or the clothes you wear or where you come from . Society has marked us for life. I can work hard in school, be valedictorian of my grade. Get into the best college, receive my masters and bachelors degree. Apply for a job and be a loyal employee for 6 years, and I would still get paid less for the same work I do as any other man with the same job. And honestly it's not even about the money for me. It could be that I earn 10 cents less or even just 2. Those 2 cents mean something. It is the reminder that it will never be enough. Why is that I ask myself. Why will the world I live in, not by choice, never see me as equal. For every dollar he makes I will only make .75 cents. As a hispanic woman it shocks me that I will only get 53% compared to a white mans earnings. The median of the average women's earnings compared to a man is 41,997 to 52,146 summing up to a 20% difference. It costs to be a woman in a way that words alone could not come close to explain. The bias I face everyday from my peers. The questions about if I am on my period because I seem upset about something. The judgement and names a girl gets called for having 3 or more previous partners makes her a “s***” when a boy with 3 or more previous partners is seen as a “stud”. The harassment we receive from a man on the streets or by our bosses and co-workers.  4/10 working women in America have reported to have faced some sort of discrimination or harassment because of gender bias and inequality in her job. Even having a degree as a woman opens the door for some sort of bias from society. A girl could get raped, I could get raped. And I would be have to accept the fact that if I speak up I may be accused of lying or even imprisoned for my supposed false accusation. I would be afraid to speak up for myself. He would be found innocent. How is anyone supposed to move on from that. How am I as a citizen of the United States of America supposed to trust in my government when I am not protected or considered as a priority. Its seems that everything we do and everything that’s we are born with, shaping who we are, makes us a target. Disabled women are 7 times more likely to be a victim of sexual assault. We do not deserve this. We are people. We have feelings just like every man that women have brought into this world. What is my government doing to change the system and protect me?

My name jeff, im a big year old. I like turtles.