My Best Feature | Teen Ink

My Best Feature

By KiwiBaby BRONZE, Birch Bay, Washington
KiwiBaby BRONZE, Birch Bay, Washington

"The problem with two faced people is that you can never decide which face to slap first."

I asked my friend this afternoon as I gazed into my reflection, what she thought of what I saw. She said, "Images are usually misconceptions." I started to put down my appearance, wishing I was thinner or taller. She looked at me with understanding eyes, saying, "Superficial wishes only make you smaller."
I knew she was right, but who was she to talk for she was every guys dream. I tried to point this out to her, she replied, "appearances aren't always what they seem. Tell me five things you admire in yourself." She said, and I knew my troubles had just begun, for I could see the hurt in her expression, when I couldn't even think of one.
I could not think of a single feature I liked, and I could feel my stomach slowly start to sink. So I turned to my friend and simply said, "well what do you think?"
"I think you're looking at it all wrong," she said, "and I wish I could make it clearer. Its what's on the inside that makes you beautiful, and not what can be seen in the mirror."
She said, "you're the most loving person I know and I hate to watch you fall apart. If you want to know what makes you beautiful to me, your best feature is your heart."

Having low self-esteem inspired me to write this. I Hope others understand that physical beauty will eventually fade away, but inner beauty is what will last forever.