My Best Feature | Teen Ink

My Best Feature

February 17, 2013
By KiwiBaby BRONZE, Birch Bay, Washington
KiwiBaby BRONZE, Birch Bay, Washington
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"The problem with two faced people is that you can never decide which face to slap first."


I asked my friend this afternoon as I gazed into my reflection, what she thought of what I saw. She said, "Images are usually misconceptions." I started to put down my appearance, wishing I was thinner or taller. She looked at me with understanding eyes, saying, "Superficial wishes only make you smaller."
I knew she was right, but who was she to talk for she was every guys dream. I tried to point this out to her, she replied, "appearances aren't always what they seem. Tell me five things you admire in yourself." She said, and I knew my troubles had just begun, for I could see the hurt in her expression, when I couldn't even think of one.
I could not think of a single feature I liked, and I could feel my stomach slowly start to sink. So I turned to my friend and simply said, "well what do you think?"
"I think you're looking at it all wrong," she said, "and I wish I could make it clearer. Its what's on the inside that makes you beautiful, and not what can be seen in the mirror."
She said, "you're the most loving person I know and I hate to watch you fall apart. If you want to know what makes you beautiful to me, your best feature is your heart."


The author's comments:
Having low self-esteem inspired me to write this. I Hope others understand that physical beauty will eventually fade away, but inner beauty is what will last forever.