Peace | Teen Ink

Peace

By Gabby_the_author BRONZE, Grove City, Ohio
Gabby_the_author BRONZE, Grove City, Ohio

Eyes closed, she stands. The tall green grass brushes over in the light brees. Dew drops the the nights rain drip off the tips.

Drip, drop, drip, drop.

Just about stands a grand forest. Trees stand tall and strong. Nothing could ever knock them down. Even with all their strength they're so gentle. Gentle, like a care hand on a tear-stained cheek. Tears, they fall like rain.
Drip, drop, drip, drop.

What causes such sorrow, she knows not. She just stands there and breaths. Taking in the sweet sweet air. So refreshing as the early morning sun dares to rise. Her mind goes blank. Her eyes go blind. The sun blocks out all thoughts, all senses. Still she hears the sound.

Drip, drop, drip, drop.

What is that sound? Why does it strike such fear in her heart so that she dare not venture a guess?

Flash!

The world goes dark a moment.

Flash! Flash!

There it goes again. What does she she see? She doesn't want to know. Instead she listens to the sounds. The bird chirping peacefully. Their wings flap cheerfully and they swoop about the trees and into the fields.

Flash!

No. She doesn’t want to see. Instead, the sound of the creek trickling along. The sound of such pure water fills her ears. She sighs a moment as she takes it all in. Such peace. Such serenity.

Flash! BOOM! BAM!

Her eyes fly open. She shakes in fear. The room seems foggy. It's a bit troublesome to breath. What's with the smoke. She leaves her room and enters the dining room. There her father is yelling again, spit spraying out of his mouth. His face red with anger. He and her mother, who sit below him on her knees in tears, both stand still. Time has been frozen in this moment. Still she tries not to care, for the frozen moment can be seen often.
Drip, drop, drip, drop.

She follows the sound. In the kitchen she looks around. The sound it louder now and seems to be echoing from the entire room. She looks about and spots it's source. The closer she gets, the quieter it is. The drip, drop quickly fades and disappears as she neared the rusty kitchen sink. She reaches to turn it off, but as soon as she does the expected silence is filled with shouts and screams. Curses and tears. Still unsurpised she heads back to her room to be stopped by none other the her father. With few words spoken, he introduces her to some new vocabulary and the nearest wall. She feels her back shoot with pain as it collides with a shelf. The girl’s body falls to the floor in shaking uncertainty. She scrambles to her room and locks the door. As tears fill her eyes, she shuts them tight. She hates it when her eyes are open. Breath. Breath. And return to her land of peace. There, it is raining gently. She holds out her hand to catch the rain.

Drip, drop, drip, drop.

What is normal?